Roger M. Perlmutter
Roger M. Perlmutter
|Alma mater||Reed College|
|Known for||Head of research at Amgen and Merck|
|Institutions||Merck Research Laboratories|
|Academic advisors||Joseph Davie|
He graduated from Reed College and earned his MD and PhD from Washington University in St. Louis in 1979. He did his clinical training in internal medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital and University of California, San Francisco. In 1981, he joined the Division of Biology at the California Institute of Technology before joining the University of Washington in 1984 to join the medicine and biochemistry department. In 1989, he was the founding chair of the immunology department. His research focused on the role of tyrosine kinase signaling and its role in lymphocyte development and immunology. During that time he was also a Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) investigator.
In 1997, Perlmutter joined Merck Research Laboratories as the executive vice president of basic and preclinical research. At the time, Perlmutter was not chosen to replace Edward Scolnik as President of Merck Research Laboratories; that position went instead to Peter S. Kim, previously of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 2001, Perlmutter left Merck and joined Amgen as the executive vice president and head of R&D from January 2001 to February 2012. In 2013, he replaced Peter S. Kim as the executive vice president and president of Merck Research Laboratories.
He was the president of the American Association of Immunologists and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He also serves on the boards of the Institute for Systems Biology and StemCells Inc.
- "Roger M. Perlmutter, M.D., Ph.D." Merck. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- Turner, JM; Brodsky, MH; Irving, BA; Levin, SD; Perlmutter, RM; Littman, DR (Mar 9, 1990). "Interaction of the unique N-terminal region of tyrosine kinase p56lck with cytoplasmic domains of CD4 and CD8 is mediated by cysteine motifs". Cell. 60 (5): 755–65. doi:10.1016/0092-8674(90)90090-2. PMID 2107025.
- Dietz, Claire (5 May 2005). "Roger Perlmutter returns to give Krebs Lecture on drug discovery". University of Washington Today. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Roger M. Perlmutter M.D., Ph.D." BusinessWeek. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Merck Announces Appointment of Roger M. Perlmutter, M.D., Ph.D., As President of Merck Research Laboratories; Peter S. Kim, Ph.D., to Retire". 7 March 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Institute for Systems Biology Names Dr. Roger M. Perlmutter Board Chairman". Institute of Systems Biology. 19 August 2003. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
|This article about an American biochemist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|