Ronald Alan Waldron
|Ronald Alan Waldron|
9 January 1927|
Teignmouth, Devon, England
Ronald Alan Waldron born 9 January 1927 is an English medievalist, considered a pre-eminent expert in the field of early English literature. He wrote many books and was a lecturer at the University of Aarhus in Denmark and King's College London. He made an especial focus on the poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
Waldron was born and raised in Teignmouth in south Devon, attending Teignmouth Grammar School. After leaving school he worked as a clerk at Teignmouth Electric Company before being called up for National Service late in World War II. After the war under the governmental Further Education and Training Scheme programme he attended the University College of the South West of England and graduated in 1951, then did postgraduate work at Royal Holloway College of the University of London, graduating in 1953. He was married to Mary (née Mary Margaret Dodd) in 1955 and they had three children. His first book, published by the Oxford University Press in 1967, was Sense and Sense Development, a non-technical work on semantics.
Books about Ronald Alan Waldron
- New Perspectives on Middle English Texts: a Festschrift for R. A. Waldron 
Works written or edited by Ronald Alan Waldron
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
- Bulleted list The Poems of the Pearl Manuscript: Pearl, Cleanness, Patience, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
- Medieval English Studies Presented to George Kane
- The Complete Works of the Pearl Poet
- Doublets in the Translation Techniques of John Trevisa
- Susan Powell and Jeremy J. Smith, eds. (2000), New Perspectives on Middle English Texts: A Festschrift for R.A. Waldron, Woodbridge, Suffolk ; Rochester, N.Y.: D.S. Brewer, p. ix, ISBN 978-0-85991-590-8, OCLC 43757539 Festschrift is a loan word from German: Festschriften are usually produced for anniversaries or retirements, and often include a "tabula gratulatoria" and a bibliography of all the academic work of the recipient
- Powell, Susan & Smith, Jeremy J., eds (2000), New Perspectives on Middle English Texts: a Festschrift for R. A. Waldron, Woodbridge, Suffolk ; Rochester, N.Y.: D. S. Brewer, p. 190, ISBN 978-0-85991-590-8, OCLC 43757539
- Waldron, Ronald Alan, editor (1970). Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Evanston, Illinois: Northwestern University Press. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8101-0328-3. OCLC 135649.
- Andrew, Malcolm; Waldron, Ronald Alan (1978). The Poems of the Pearl Manuscript: Pearl, Cleanness, Patience, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Berkeley: University of California Press. p. 373. ISBN 978-0-85989-726-6. OCLC 5241542.
- Kennedy, Edward Donald; Waldron, Ronald Alan; Wittig, Joseph S. (1988). Medieval English Studies Presented to George Kane. Wolfeboro, N.H.: D. S. Brewer. p. 327. ISBN 978-0-85991-262-4. OCLC 16833713.
- Finch, Casey; Waldron, Ronald Alan; Andrew, Malcolm; Peterson, Clifford J. (1993), The Complete Works of the Pearl Poet, Berkeley: University of California Press, p. 488, ISBN 978-0-520-07871-0, OCLC 25409834
- Waldron, Ronald Alan (2001), "Doublets in the Translation Techniques of John Trevisa", Lexis and Texts in Early English : Studies Presented to Jane Roberts, Amsterdam ; Atlanta: Rodopi: [clarification needed], ISBN 978-90-420-1001-7, OCLC 46827633
|This article about an English non-fiction writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|