Virgets attended Sacred Heart Academy, St. Aloysius High School and graduated from Loyola University New Orleans in 1965. Following his matriculation, Virgets took an Army tour of duty to Vietnam from 1965-1968. He began writing sports features for the New Orleans Times-Picayune in the mid-70s.
He has written for New Orleans area publications including The Times-Picayune, Gambit Weekly, New Orleans Magazine, and has published several books. He appears regularly on local radio and television, mostly discussing aspects of local culture. He was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Press Club of New Orleans in 2002.
Virgets served as host of Crescent City, a radio program broadcast in New Orleans on the local National Public Radio affiliate, WWNO. His personal papers are archived at Loyola University New Orleans.
Virgets is divorced and has three children and seven grandchildren. Virgets reigned as King of Krewe du Vieux for New Orleans Mardi Gras in 1996. Among his hobbies, Virgets enjoys fishing and thoroughbred racing. At one time, he owned greyhound racing dogs. Virgets and family appeared on the TV series Family Feud in an episode first aired on November 15, 2006.
Virgets "rode out" Hurricane Katrina in August 2005, in his home in the Navarre neighborhood of New Orleans. The area flooded severely when the Federal levees failed (see: Effect of Hurricane Katrina on New Orleans), and a few days later he was rescued by boat. Virgets wrote an essay giving his impressions of how the storm and its devastation have impacted New Orleans, the Gulf Coast, people living in these areas, and himself. Diary of a Displaced Person: the First 72 Hours was read by Virgets for National Public Radio, and also appears as one of the chapters in his book, Lost Bread.
Books by Ronnie Virgets
- Say Cap!: The New Orleans Views of Ronnie Virgets Published by Arthur Hardy Enterprises in 1997 (ISBN 0-930892-50-X)
- Lost Bread (Pain Perdu) Flavored with a Little Steen's Cane Syrup Published by Arthur Hardy Enterprises in 2006 (ISBN 0-930892-67-4)
-  Ronnie Virgets' personal webpage.
- Audio archives page for online access to past Crescent City episodes at WWNO/KTLN
- Link to Virgets' published columns at Gambit
- Audio recording of Virgets reading his essay The Point at neworleanspodcasting.com
- Audio recording of an interview of Virgets at neworleanspodcasting.com
- Audio recording of Fred Kasten's interview of Ronnie Virgets at WWNO.
- Article on Virgets at ashleymorris.typepad.com
- Virgets reads from his memoir about Hurricane Katrina at here-now.org
- Photograph of Ronnie Virgets reading at radio station WRBH
- Article on Ronnie Virgets' appearance on Family Feud
- Ronnie Virgets Papers Finding Aid at Loyola University New Orleans