This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rony Barrak held his first Darbouka (Middle Eastern tabla) at the age of four and began playing it intuitively. Led by early self-confidence, he made his first TV performance at the age of seven. At the age of 17, Rony distinguished himself in the world of music by winning the Gold Medal in a competition on the Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation International (LBCI) television for talented young musicians in Lebanon and the Middle East. He moved to London in 1990 where he studied orchestral percussion and drum kit at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama and later taught Middle Eastern Percussion at Trinity College of Music. Rony became a British citizen in year 2000 and has dual citizenship of the U.K. and Lebanon.
Compositions and Performances
- 2012 “Boulder Sensations” (world premiere) Boulder, USA With the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Michael Butterman.
- 2009 "Beirut Sensations" (world premiere) Boulder, USA.
- London Philharmonic Orchestra
- Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir
- Toronto Orchestra and Choir
- Moscow Symphony Orchestra
- Norwegian Radio Orchestra
- Osnabruck Symphony Orchestra & the NDR big band
- Sarah Brightman (110 concerts in the 2004 Harem world tour across 4 continents)
- Arturo Sandoval
- Takenobu Mitsuyoshi
- Talvin Singh
- Dave Grusin
- Patrick Leonard
- Abboud Abdel Aal
- Simon Shaheen
- Alex Acuna
- Otis Grand
- Raúl di Blasio
- Pedro Eustache
- 2010 Darbouka City distributed and published by EMI Records music Arabia
- 2005 Karizma with Michel Fadel, distributed and published by EMI Records music Arabia
- 1999 Aramba followed by Music video clip "Aramba"
- 2010-Appreciation award by the Ambassador of Lebanon-Buenos Aires-Argentina
- 2010-Appreciation award by the Juventudo de la uniõn cultural Argentino-Libanesa
- 2010-Appreciation award by the president of Saint George Hospital
- 2005-Honorary Citizen of the City Dearborn, Michigan-USA
- 1988-Gold Medal-Studio al Fan on LBCI Television-Lebanon
- Dean Hansen, Kelly (2012-03-22). "Boulder Philharmonic welcomes Rony Barrak, Shodekeh". Times-Call.
- Blomster, Wes (2009-03-12). "Boulder Philharmonic goes exotic with tabla virtuoso Rony Barrak". Daily Camera.