Roopinder Singh (born 21 July 1960) is an Indian journalist and author. He is Associate Editor with the English daily newspaper, The Tribune, published from Chandigarh, India. His specialization is Sikh history and culture, information technology, and education. He is the author of five major books in English, including a critically acclaimed volume on the founder of Sikh religion, Guru Nanak Dev, and a volume on Sikh heritage. He lives in Chandigarh, Punjab.
Roopinder Singh was born in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. His father, Giani Gurdit Singh (24 February 1923 – 17 January 2007), was a famous Punjabi author, and his mother, Inderjit Kaur Sandhu, is a well-known academic. She was Vice Chancellor of Punjabi University, Patiala, India.
Roopinder Singh studied in St. John's High School, Chandigarh; St Francis School, Amritsar; and Yadavindra Public School, Patiala, where he earned his Senior Cambridge ‘O’ level certificate. At St Stephen’s College, Delhi, he read his BA Philosophy (Honors) and MA Philosophy degrees. He was also secretary of the college's Philosophical Society and the Punjabi Society.
Roopinder Singh was Assistant Editor, Indian Observer, New York. He joined The Tribune at Chandigarh, India, in 1991. He launched the internet edition in 1998 and headed it till 2015. He has been incharge of book reviews since 2002.He is in-charge of the Spectrum and Sunday Reading, Saturday Extra, Real Estate and Jobs & Careers supplements.
Book reviews published in The Tribune
- History in the Making: The Visual Archives of Kulwant Roy, By Aditya Arya and Indivar Kamtekar, HarperCollins.
- Indian Persuasions: 50 years of Seminar: Selected Writings, Ed. Rudrangshu Mukherjee, Roli Books.
- Marshal of the Indian Air Force, Arjan Singh, DFC. Rupa and Co, New Delhi, 2002. ISBN 81-7167-938-2 Review by Dr I J Singh, New York University, New York. The book was the first biography of a MIAF Arjan Singh the legendary pilot who is India's first Air Force Field Marshal.
- Guru Nanak: His Life and Teachings. Rupa and Co, New Delhi, 2004. ISBN 81-291-0442-3 Review by Prof V N Dutta.
- Giani Gurdit Singh: 1923-2007. Sahit Parkashan, Chandigarh 2008. (A festschrift, in Punjabi and English, co-edited with Inderjit Kaur).
- Woman: Many Hues Many Shades. Lahore Publishers. 2009. (co-author).
- Sikh Heritage: Ethos and Relics. Rupa & Co. 2012. Bhayee Sikandar Singh and Roopinder Singh.(co-authors). ISBN 9788129119834.
- Delhi '84. Sahit Parkashan, Chandigarh 2014. (Novela)
- Life!, The Straits Times on 8 July 2008
- Book details from the biographical information in Arjan Singh, DFC: Marshal of The Indian Air Force by Roopinder Singh
- The Tribune Website
- List of Roopinder Singh's articles in The Tribune
- List of Punjabi University Vice-Chancellors Archived 27 November 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Giani Gurdit Singh dead". The Tribune. India. 17 January 2017. Retrieved 22 March 2018.
- Roopinder Singh Blog
- The Tribune Book Review
- The Tribune Book Review
- WorldSikhNews.com Press Release