Herbalist Rosemary Gladstar has changed the practice of American herbalism during her over 40-year career. She began her work in herbalism in California, where after study she founded the California School of Herbal Studies in Forestville, California, in 1978, which was the first herbal school in California. This school was taught by Gladstar with the help of herbalists such as Christopher Hobbs and is still functioning. She moved east to Vermont in the early 1990s and co-founded Sage Mountain Herbs. Becoming concerned about the ecological sustainability of medicinal plants, which were being decimated by the herb trade, Gladstar went on to found United Plant Savers, where she serves as president of the Board of Directors. Gladstar helped found the Northeast Herb Association in 1991. She is the co-founder of the International Herb Symposium and the director of The New England Women's Herbal Conference.
Gladstar is the author of several books, including Herbal Healing for Women, Herbs for Natural Beauty, Herbs for the Home Medicine Chest, Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health and Planting the Future: Saving Our Medicinal Herbs. Rosemary has coined, named, and popularized several common herbal remedies such as "Fire Cider" and "Zoom Balls" that have become part of the modern herbalists medicine kit. She has taught herbs extensively throughout the U.S. She organizes the International Herb Symposium and the United Plant Savers conference, and speaks widely at other herbal conferences including the Southwest Conference, Medicines from the Earth, the Green Nations Gathering and Breitenbush. She also leads herbal travel adventures in various parts of the world.
- Gladstar, Rosemary. (2001) Rosemary Gladstar's family herbal a guide to living life with energy, health, and vitality. North Adams, Mass. : Storey Books, c2001.vii, 400 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 19 cm.
- Gladstar, Rosemary. (2000) Planting the future : saving our medicinal herbs / edited by Rosemary Gladstar and Pamela Hirsch.Rochester, Vt. : Healing Arts Press, c2000.x, 310 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 26 cm.
- http://cshs.com/ California School of Herbal Studies
- http://www.christopherhobbs.com/website/author/biography.html Christopher Hobb's biography
- http://www.sagemountain.com/Rosemary-Gladstar.html Sage Mountain
- http://www.unitedplantsavers.org/UpS_Staff.html United Plant Savers' Staff
- http://www.northeastherbal.org/ NEHA web site
|This article about a herbalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|