Rosie Tran at the Friar's Club in Beverly Hills, CA.
|Born||January 11, 1984|
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.
|Subject(s)||Racism, Stereotypes, Dating, Women's issues|
Tran was born and raised in Algiers, New Orleans to Vietnamese immigrants. Her father is a retired biomedical engineer and author, Tran Bich San. Her mother, Loan Kim Ta, is a former Miss Saigon (1972) and owned a beauty and nail salon. Rosie attended the academically prestigious Benjamin Franklin Senior High School and after graduation moved to Los Angeles to pursue a professional career in entertainment. She received her M.A. in Television and Film from California State University, Los Angeles.
Tran has been a featured performer at Funny Fest and the Great Plains Saskatoon Comedy Festivals in Canada, Boston International Comedy and Movie Festival, Detroit Comedy Festival and the Seattle International Comedy Competition in the U.S. She is a contributing writer to various joke book series, is a regular guest on National Lampoon Comedy Radio, and is often featured on the Comedy Time Network, as well as being a regular guest on many popular podcasts. Tran was a Los Angeles area finalist on season six of the NBC show, Last Comic Standing.
In 2011, she began working as a featured performer on various USO tours overseas for the US military, including trips to Iraq, Kuwait, and Europe. In 2013, Rosie Tran began hosting her own podcast, "Out of the Box", where she interviews and talks with political figures and activists, internet celebrities, porn stars, comedians, artists, and other out of the box personalities and thinkers. Her podcast is a Stitcher Radio favorite, and was featured as a top new podcast.
Tran is married to business investor and musician, Andrew VanVoorhis.
(as a contributing writer)
- She's So Funny (2004) ISBN 0-7407-4166-7
- Squeaky Clean Comedy (2005) ISBN 0-7407-5015-1
- Comedy Thesaurus (2005) ISBN 1-59474-058-5
- Love's Funny That Way (2006) ISBN 1-4027-3525-1
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Jokes (2006) ISBN 1-59257-538-2
- "Girl With Gun" (2006)
- "Open and Honest" (2008)
- "Ocean Front Property" (2009)
- "A Machine Ripper His Leg Off (Documentary)" (2009)
- "Speaking of Women's Health"
- How Do I Look? (2004)
- "Inside Joke" (2005)
- "Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner" (2005)
- "P Lo's House: The Real Entourage" (2009)
- Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List (2010)
- Raising Hope (2014)
- Rosie Tran on IMDb
- Official Website
- Twitter Page
- Photos on Wireimage
- A Machine Ripped His Leg Off Official Site
- Facebook Fanpage
- Profile on Jon Lovitz Website
- Out of the Box Podcast Official Site