Roy Williams (footballer)
|Full name||Royston Brian Williams|
|Date of birth||3 March 1932|
|Place of birth||Hereford, England|
|Date of death||25 October 2011(aged 79)|
|Place of death||Hereford, England|
|Height||5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)|
|Playing position||Inside forward|
|Hereford Lads' Club|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
In November 1952, he signed for Southampton for a fee of £4,000, making his debut at inside-right in a 1–1 draw away to Fulham on 26 December 1952. Fulham came to The Dell on the following day and "the Saints" won 5–3, with Williams scoring the second Southampton goal with a header after 31 minutes to bring the scores level; the other Saints' goals were scored by Frank Dudley with a hat-trick and Johnny Walker. Williams made a total of ten appearances (at either inside-right or inside-left) during the 1952–53 season at the end of which Southampton were relegated to Division Three.
Williams was only 5 ft 4in tall and was probably the smallest forward ever to play for Southampton, but he had a stocky build and was able to "mix it" with the toughest defenders and soon became a first-team regular. In the 1953–54 season, he became a fixture at inside-right until January, when he was dropped with Walker moving across from the left and Henry Horton taking over at inside-left. Williams returned for the last four matches of the season, in which the Saints finished in sixth place, after having been first or second until late-January.
In the next season, Williams only made a handful of appearances with Tommy Mulgrew and Johnny Walker now firmly established at inside-right and left respectively. In his three seasons at The Dell, Williams scored seven goals from 41 league appearances.
In July 1955, he returned to Hereford United and went on to become the second highest goalscorer in the club's history. In total he scored 154 goals in 357 appearances for Hereford.
- Holley, Duncan; Chalk, Gary (2003). In That Number – A post-war chronicle of Southampton FC. Hagiology Publishing. p. 601. ISBN 0-9534474-3-X.
- In That Number – A post-war chronicle of Southampton FC. p. 28.
- Chalk, Gary; Holley, Duncan (1987). Saints – A complete record. Breedon Books. pp. 122–123. ISBN 0-907969-22-4.
- Holley, Duncan; Chalk, Gary (1992). The Alphabet of the Saints. ACL & Polar Publishing. pp. 367–368. ISBN 0-9514862-3-3.
- Saints – A complete record. pp. 124–125.
- Parrott, Ron (25 October 2011). "Ex-Bull Roy Williams Passes Away". Hereford United FC. Retrieved 26 October 2011.