Due to financial constraints, the government of Rwanda held negotiations with Terracom's investors in June 2007 in order to establish the value of the company and organize a buy back of Rwandatel by the government. The agreed total purchase price was USD 11.91 Million with the Government acquiring 70% while Caisse Sociale du Rwanda (now Rwanda Social Security Board) acquiring 30% of the venture.
In September 2007, Libyan based investment firm, LAP (Libyan Investment Portfolio) Green, acquired 80% of Rwandatel for USD 100 million and agreed to invest another $177 million over the following 5 years as well as agree to meet wireless voice and data roll-out goals. LAP Green's other investments included its 69% control of Uganda Telecom.
Due to the Libyan conflict of 2011, the government of Rwanda complied with United Nations resolutions requiring Libyan assets in the country to be frozen. This led to financial constraints on Rwandatel as it depended of financing from LAP Green. This led to Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority (RURA) revocing the firm's license to provide mobile and 3G services on April 4, 2011. At this point the company was facing stiff competition from MTN Rwanda and Tigo Rwanda.
As of the liquidation date, Rwandatel's shareholding structure was as follows:
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||LAP Green of Libya||80.0|
|2||Rwanda Social Security Board||20.0|
- "Terracom aquires RwandaTel". http://www.telecompaper.com/. Telecom Paper. 2005-10-18. Retrieved 2015-03-31. External link in
- "The collapse of Rwandatel: What went wrong?". http://en.igihe.com/. IGIHE. 2011-03-29. Retrieved 2015-03-31. External link in
- "Rwanda’s Government to buy back Terracom Communications". http://www.balancingact-africa.com (Issue no 365 ed.). Balancing Act. Retrieved 2015-03-31. External link in
- "The Sales and Purchase of 100% shares of TERRACOM sarl and its 99% shares in Rwandatel S.A" (PDF). http://rura.gov.rw/. Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority. August 1, 2007. Retrieved March 31, 2015. External link in
- "Libyan firm wins USD 100 Mln tender to buy Rwandatel (Libya)". http://www.wirelessfederation.com/. Wireless Federation. 2007-10-15. Retrieved 2015-03-31. External link in
- "Libyan Firm buys Rwandatel for $100 Millio". http://www.balancingact-africa.com/ (Issue no 376 ed.). Balancing Act. Retrieved 2015-03-31. External link in
- Murdock, Heather (April 5, 2011). "Rwandan Regulator Revokes Rwandatel’s Mobile Phone License". Bloomberg Business. Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- "Libya’s Rwandatel sold off". http://www.independent.co.ug/. The Independent - Uganda. 2013-07-07. Retrieved 2015-03-31. External link in