Harty grew up in Arizona and northern California and is a graduate of UC Berkeley and the Iowa Writers’ Workshop. He was a Stegner Fellow at Stanford University and the recipient of a Henfield-Transatlantic Review Award.
- Bring me your saddest Arizona. University of Iowa Press. 2003. ISBN 0-87745-869-3.
ryan harty.This book contains eight short stories:
- What Can I Tell You about My Brother?
- Between Tubac and Tumacacori
- Sarah at the Palace
- Why the Sky Turns Red When the Sun Goes Down
- Don't Call It Christmas
He won the John Simmons Short Fiction Award.
- Vaziri, Aidin (January 9, 2011). "ON THE TOWN WITH . . . / Writers Julie Orringer and Ryan Harty". The San Francisco Chronicle.