This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ryan Shawn Kennelly|
March 23, 1974
|Other names||"The Bench Monster"|
|Occupation||Powerlifting, Personal trainer|
|Known for||World record in the equipped bench press|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||290 - 345 lb (131 - 154kg) active|
|Powerlifting - Bench Press|
|Representing United States|
|WPO World Record Bench Bash|
|WPO Bench Bash For Cash|
|World Power Stars International Meet|
|World Power Stars|
Ryan Shawn Kennelly (born March 23, 1974) is an American powerlifter who specializes in the bench press. He currently holds the World Powerlifting Organization (WPO) and has held the all-time world record in the assisted (geared) bench press with a lift of 1075.0 lbs (487.6 kg) from November 2008 until April 2013. This world record is classified as an equipped world record, meaning the lift is performed with the aid of a bench shirt. Kennelly has also bench pressed an unequipped 650.0 lbs (294.8 kg) in competition.
Kennelly, a native of Tri-Cities, Washington, grew up in a weightlifting family—his father was a competitive powerlifter. Kennelly is a 1992 graduate of Kamiakin High School in Kennewick. He didn't start weight training until he was 18 years old, and he didn't get serious about powerlifting until five years later, when an ongoing best-bench contest at his local gym inspired him to bench press more than 400 pounds to take top honors. Kennelly is 6 feet 2 inches (188 cm), making him one of the tallest bench press specialists in active competition.
Kennelly broke the equipped bench press world record for the first time on July 28, 2007 by pressing 1036 lbs (470 kg) at the big Ukraine Bench for Cash meet - surpassing the previous world record of Gene Rychlak by 26 pounds. A few months later on December 1, he pressed 1050 lbs (477.27 kg) for another world record.
In 2008, he broke his own record again three times:
On April 12, 2008, Kennelly set the bench press record with a lift of 1070 lbs (485.3 kg) during the American Powerlifting Association Open Iron War held in Kennewick, Washington.
Finally, on November 8, 2008, Kennelly broke the bench pressed record again with 1075.0 lbs (487.6 kg) at the Pride Strength Wars held in Kennewick, Washington for the current WPO equipped bench press world record.
On September 5, 2013, Kennelly was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison for importing anabolic steroids from India.
Powerlifting Competition Records:
done in official Powerlifting meets
- Raw Bench press – 650.0 lbs (294.8 kg) (raw with only wrist wraps and a belt) (done on October 18, 2010 UPA)
- Equipped Bench press – 1075.0 lbs (487.6 kg) (done on November 8, 2008 WPO)
- "Kennelly Ryan Shawn". En.allpowerlifting.com. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Pride Strength Wars Results". Pride Powerlifting. 2008-11-08. Archived from the original on 2008-12-20. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- "World Record Bench Press". Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- Taylor, Scott (2008-04-12). "APA Northwest Iron War". American Powerlifting Association. Archived from the original on May 15, 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "UPA Bench Bash For Cash Results". United Powerlifting Association. 2008-07-12. Archived from the original on 2008-12-04. Retrieved 2008-01-02.
- "Local news from Kennewick, Pasco, Richland, WA - Tri-City Herald". Tri-cityherald.com. Retrieved 15 February 2015.