Strongly interacting massive particle
Strongly interacting massive particles (SIMPs) are hypothetical particles that interact strongly between themselves [looks like they scatter off each other - observation of colliding galaxies in the Abell 3827 cluster, where it seemed that dark matter lagged behind the ordinary matter] and weakly with ordinary matter, but could form the inferred dark matter despite this. However, this finding has since been discounted based on further observations and modelling of the cluster.
- Weakly interacting massive particles – Hypothetical particles that are thought to constitute dark matter
- Self-interacting dark matter – A hypothetical form of dark matter consisting of particles with strong self-interactions
- Wandelt, Benjamin D; Dave, Romeel; Farrar, Glennys R; McGuire, Patrick C; Spergel, David N; Steinhardt, Paul J (2000), "Self-Interacting Dark Matter", in Cline, David B, Sources and Detection of Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the Universe, Springer-Verlag, p. 263, arXiv:astro-ph/0006344, Bibcode:2001sddm.symp..263W, ISBN 978-3-540-41216-8
- Massey, Richard; et al. (2017), "Dark matter dynamics in Abell 3827: new data consistent with standard Cold Dark Matter", Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 477: 669–677, arXiv:1708.04245, doi:10.1093/mnras/sty630
- Grossman, Lisa (April 5, 2018). "Dark matter isn't interacting with itself after all". ScienceNews. Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- Chung, Daniel J. H; Farrar, Glennys R; Kolb, Edward W (1998), "Are ultrahigh energy cosmic rays signals of supersymmetry?", Physical Review D, 57 (8): 4606, arXiv:astro-ph/9707036, Bibcode:1998PhRvD..57.4606C, doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.57.4606
- Albuquerque, Ivone F. M; Farrar, Glennys R; Kolb, Edward W (1998), "Exotic massive hadrons and ultra-high energy cosmic rays", Physical Review D, 59 (1): 015021, arXiv:hep-ph/9805288, Bibcode:1999PhRvD..59a5021A, doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.59.015021
- Qin, Bo; Wu, Xiang-Ping (2001), "Constraints on the Interaction between Dark Matter and Baryons from Cooling Flow Clusters", Physical Review Letters, 87 (6): 061301, arXiv:astro-ph/0106458, Bibcode:2001PhRvL..87f1301Q, doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.87.061301, PMID 11497819
- Chuzhoy, Leonid; Nusser, Adi (2006), "Consequences of short range interactions between dark matter and protons in galaxy clusters", The Astrophysical Journal, 645 (2): 950–954, arXiv:astro-ph/0408184, Bibcode:2006ApJ...645..950C, doi:10.1086/504505
- Starkman, Glenn D; Gould, Andrew; Esmailzadeh, Rahim; Dimopoulos, Savas (1990), "Opening the window on strongly interacting dark matter", Physical Review D, 41 (12): 3594, Bibcode:1990PhRvD..41.3594S, doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.41.3594
- Cyburt, Richard H; Fields, Brian D; Pavlidou, Vasiliki; Wandelt, Benjamin D (2002), "Constraining Strong Baryon-Dark Matter Interactions with Primordial Nucleosynthesis and Cosmic Rays", Physical Review D, 65 (12): 123503, arXiv:astro-ph/0203240, Bibcode:2002PhRvD..65l3503C, doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.65.123503.
- Zaharijas, Gabrijela; Farrar, Glennys R (2004), "A Window in the Dark Matter Exclusion Limits", Physical Review D, 72 (8): 083502, arXiv:astro-ph/0406531, Bibcode:2005PhRvD..72h3502Z, doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.72.083502
- Bacci, C.; et al. (1996), "Improved limits on strongly interacting massive particles with NaI(Tl) scintillators", Astroparticle Physics, 4 (3): 195–198, Bibcode:1996APh.....4..195B, doi:10.1016/0927-6505(95)00032-1
- McGuire, Patrick C; Steinhardt, Paul J (2001), "Cracking Open the Window for Strongly Interacting Massive Particles as the Halo Dark Matter", Proceedings of the International Cosmic Ray Conference, International Cosmic Ray Conference, 4, Hamburg, Germany, p. 1566, arXiv:astro-ph/0105567, Bibcode:2001ICRC....4.1566M
- Javorsek II, D; Fischbach, E; Teplitz, V (2002), "New Experimental Bounds on the Contributions to the Cosmological Density Parameter Ω from Strongly Interacting Massive Particles", The Astrophysical Journal, 568 (1): 1–8, Bibcode:2002ApJ...568....1J, doi:10.1086/338796
- Mitra, Saibal (2004), "Uranus's anomalously low excess heat constrains strongly interacting dark matter", Physical Review D, 70 (10): 103517, arXiv:astro-ph/0408341, Bibcode:2004PhRvD..70j3517M, doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.70.103517
- Mack, Gregory D; Beacom, John F; Bertone, Gianfranco (2007), "Towards Closing the Window on Strongly Interacting Dark Matter: Far-Reaching Constraints from Earth's Heat Flow", Physical Review D, 76 (4): 043523, arXiv:0705.4298, Bibcode:2007PhRvD..76d3523M, doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.76.043523