SRM Institute of Science and Technology
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Seal of SRM Institute of Science and Technology
|SRM Engineering College, SRM University|
|Motto||Learn, Leap, Lead|
|Founder||T. R. Pachamuthu|
|Chancellor||T. R. Pachamuthu|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, or Sri Ramaswamy Memorial Institute of Science and Technology, formerly known as SRM University, is a deemed university located in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. It was founded in 1985 as SRM Engineering College in Kattankulathur, under University of Madras. SRM University now has 8 campuses, 4 in Tamil Nadu — Kattankulathur, Ramapuram, Vadapalani, Tiruchchirappalli and others in Delhi NCR, Sonepat, Gangtok and Amaravati.
The institute gained deemed status during the 2003-2004 academic year and was renamed SRM Institute of Science and Technology. It became SRM University in 2006 following permission by the UGC for 'Deemed to be Universities' to be called 'Universities'. In 2017 it was renamed back as SRM Institute of Science and Technology following the UGC request to drop "University" from the name.
SRM Institute of Science and Technology is approved by the University Grants Commission and is accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). It has been given an overall A++ Grade by NAAC. Some programs in SRM Institute of Science and Technology are accredited by Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology.
Located about 35 km away from the city of Chennai, this campus is situated on a 250-acre site overlooking Grand Southern Trunk Road (GST Road), NH-45. The main campus at Kattankulathur consists of a College of Engineering and Technology, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, College of Science and Humanities and a School of Management.
Kattankulathur Campus also houses the SRM Medical College Hospital and Research Center and the SRM Hotel. The SRM hospital can accommodate 1200 in-patients with 25 specializations in PG education in medical science.
The campus also accommodates the SRM Institute of Hotel Management, SRM Arts and Science College, Valliammai Engineering college (SRM Group) and Valliammai Polytechnic college.
The Ramapuram Campus of SRM Institute of Science and Technology is located at Ramapuram, Chennai. It houses three colleges, the Faculty of Engineering and Technology, SRM Dental College, and Easwari Engineering College. The campus also offers Bachelor of Architecture, MBA, science & humanities, and dental courses.
Vadapalani Campus is located in the center of Chennai city. This campus houses the Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Faculty of Management Sciences, Faculty of MCA. The SRM Institute for Medical Sciences is also located within the campus.
SRM University - AP, Amaravati is the newest SRM campus, located in the newly designed city of Amaravati. Jamshed Bharucha has been named the Inaugural Vice Chancellor and chief executive. The School of Engineering & Applied Sciences was launched in 2017, and the School of Liberal Arts & Basic Sciences was launched to begin in 2018. The campus was designed by Perkins and Will, a Canadian architectural firm. It has hostel facilities for about 1500 students and faculty apartments. Professor Bertil Andersson serves as Honorary Pro Chancellor. 
The founder chairman of the SRM Group of educational institutions, T. R. Pachamuthu, was arrested in Chennai on 26 August 2016 in connection with an alleged scandal in medical admissions involving crores of rupees. More than 100 complaints had been received from parents related to "transactions" involving payment of money running into several million rupees for getting admissions to medical courses in SRM institutions. The case was resolved in October 2017 after all 136 claimants indicated their willingness to accept monetary compensation in return for withdrawing from proceedings.
|Private University rankings|
|General – international|
|QS (Asia) (2018)||351-400|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||63|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||41|
|Engineering – India|
|India Today (2017)||8|
|Outlook India (2017)||27|
|Pharmacy – India|
SRM has been ranked no. 1 by Times of India Engineering Institutes Ranking in 2016. The institute has been accredited by NAAC with highest 'A++' Grade with CGPA 3.55/4 in the year 2018. Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India places SRM in Category 'A'.
SRM Institute of Science and Technology ranked 8th among engineering colleges in India by India Today in 2017 27 by Outlook India in 2017. The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked it 46 in the engineering ranking in 2018, 27 in the pharmacy ranking, 41 among universities and 63 overall.
- Abhay Jodhpurkar, singer
- Neeraj Madhav, actor
- Niveda Thomas, actor
- Murali Vijay, cricketer
- Iswarya Menon, film actress
- "From The Desk Of The Vice Chancellor". Welcome to SRM Institute of Science and Technology (formerly known as SRM University) – India’s Premier Educational Institution. 22 February 2018. Retrieved 9 March 2018.
- "History of SRM Group of Institutions". SRM University. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- "Don't use 'university' in institute names, UGC directs deemed-to-be varsities". The Indian Express. 15 November 2017. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "SRM University". www.highereducationinindia.com.
- "Universities – Accreditation Status (as on 21/02/2014)" (PDF). www.ugc.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Find an ABET-Accredited Program | ABET". main.abet.org. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- "SRM University - Amaravati".
- "SRM Amaravati Campus Inaugurated". Retrieved 28 July 2017.
- "To Build a Great City, Build a Great University". Inside Higher Ed. July 8, 2018.
- "Jamshed Bharucha is V-C of SRM, Amaravati". The Hindu. July 9, 2018.
- "SRM School of Liberal Arts & Basic Sciences". Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- "SRM Infrastructure". Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "SRM education group's chief Pachamuthu arrested over medical seats admission scandal". The Indian Express. 2016-08-26. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Cheating case against SRM group chief quashed". The New Indian Express. 31 October 2017.
- "QS Asian University Rankings 2018". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "India's Best Colleges 2017: Engineering". India Today. 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Top 100 Engineering Colleges In 2017". Outlook India. 5 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Pharmacy)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- "The big break". 17 January 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- Sathyendran, Nita (24 April 2015). "Making the right moves". Thiruvananthapuram, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- "Kamal sir was impressed with my marksheets too". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- Jawalekar, Chinmay (2016-10-28). "Zafar Ansari and 15 other most educated cricketers". Cricket Country. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- A Sharadhaa. "Not relying on luck alone: Akshara Menon". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SRM Institute of Science and Technology.|