This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (October 2017)
Starr Restaurants, stylized as STARR Restaurants, is a group of restaurants located in Philadelphia, New York City, Atlantic City, Washington D.C., South Florida, and Paris, France. The organization is headed by founder and CEO Stephen Starr, an American restaurateur and former entertainment promoter. The company was has been recognized as "one of the largest multiconcept operators in the country, with restaurants up and down the Eastern Seaboard, from New York to Miami" by the magazine Restaurant Hospitality.
History of Starr Restaurants
Most Starr Restaurants are in Philadelphia, with the remaining locations being New York City, Florida, Atlantic City, Washington, D.C., and Paris. Starr Restaurants have been noted as having an emphasis on "theatrical details, like music, lighting and backdrops." The magazine Travel + Leisure noted that "Starr [Restaurants] creates complete environments with an artistic, almost cerebral approach".
Starr's catering operation, Starr Events, was sold to TrustHouse Services in August 2015 for $40 million.
The head of Starr Restaurants, Stephen Starr, won the 2017 "Outstanding Restaurateur" James Beard Award, and the Starr Restaurant Le Coucou with chef Daniel Rose was named 2017 "Best New Restaurant" by the James Beard Foundation. Stephen Starr has been named "Restaurateur of the Year" by both Bon Appétit and Zagat." The Clocktower with Jason Atherton received the first star for the Starr Restaurant group in the 2018 Michelin Guide.
Film and television
The majority of Starr Restaurants, twenty-one, are located in Philadelphia. These restaurants include:
- The Continental Restaurant and Martini Bar, which opened in 1995 in a 1960s stainless steel diner. It has been noted that the success of this restaurant "catalyzed the area and soon thereafter other restaurants and bars followed suit bringing the neighborhood...vibrancy."
- The first Buddakan, which serves modern Asian cuisine, opened in Philadelphia in 1998. Eater noted "Starr's critically-acclaimed Buddakan was a hipper, younger, clubbier analogue to older, expensive, white tablecloth venues like Mr. Chow, Indochine, and Shun Lee Palace."
- Pod (Contemporary Pan Asian, 2000)
- Alma de Cuba (Modern Cuban, 2001. Chef Douglas Rodriguez)
- Morimoto (Contemporary Japanese, 2001) — operated by Masaharu Morimoto, Iron Chef Japanese on both the original Japanese Iron Chef and Iron Chef America
- Jones (American Comfort Food, 2002)
- El Vez (Modern Mexican, 2003)
- The Continental Midtown (Global Tapas, 2004)
- Barclay Prime (Luxury Boutique Steakhouse, 2004. Chef Jeff Froehler)
- Parc (French, 2008. Chef Joe Monnich)
- Butcher and Singer (Luxury Boutique Steak/Chophouse, 2008)
- Square Burger (Burgers, 2009)
- Pizzeria Stella (Pizza, 2009. Chef Shane Solomon)
- El Rey (Mexican, 2010. Chef Dionicio Jimenez)
- The Dandelion (British Pub, 2010. Chef Robert Aikens)
- Talula's Garden (Farm to Table, 2011. Chef Charles Parker)
- Frankford Hall (Beer Garden, 2011. Chef James Davidson)
- Fette Sau (Barbecue, 2012)
- Serpico (Modern American, 2013. Partnership with Chef Peter Serpico)
- Talula's Daily (Farm to Table/Cafe, 2013)
- The Love (American, 2017. Chef Aimee Olexy)
New York City
- Morimoto (Contemporary Japanese, 2006)
- Buddakan, serving modern Asian cuisine, opened in 2006. The environment of the restaurant has been described as having "the "Chinoiserie," a great hall with oak-covered walls two stories high, chandeliers as big as Volkswagens, and a banquet table seating 34."
- El Vez (Authentic Mexican, 2014)
- Upland (Modern American, 2014)
- The Clocktower (New York Edition Hotel, 2015. Partnership with Chef Jason Atherton). The Clocktower received a Michelin star in 2018, the first for Starr Restaurants.
- Le Coucou (French, 2016. Partnership with Chef Daniel Rose). Le Coucou won the 2017 James Beard Foundation Award for Best New Restaurant in the nation.
- Steak 954 (W Hotel, Fort Lauderdale, Steakhouse, 2009)
- Makoto (Bal Harbour, Sushi, 2011)
- Le Zoo (Bal Harbour, November, 2015)
- Upland (Miami Beach, November 2016. Partnership with Chef Justin Smillie)
- El Vez (W Hotel, Fort Lauderdale, 2018)
- Continental (Global Tapas, 2006)
- Buddakan (Modern Asian, 2006)
- Le Diplomate (French, 2013. Chef Michael Abt)
- St. Anselm (American, 2018. Chef Marjorie Meek-Bradley
- Cafe Republic (Philadelphia, Russian, 1996-2016)
- L'Ange Bleu (Blue Angel) (Philadelphia, French, 2003)
- Angelina (Philadelphia, Italian, 2005)
- Washington Square (Philadelphia, International Street Food, 2007)
- Striped Bass (Philadelphia, Seafood, June 2008)
- Tangerine - (Philadelphia, Moroccan, 1999-2009)
- Hybird (New York, Fried Chicken, Closed 2013)
- Route 6 (Philadelphia, Seafood, 2011-2014)
- Il Pittore (Italian, 2011-2016)
- Continental Miami (Miami Beach, Global Tapas, 2015-2017)
- Jennings, Lisa. "2017 RH 25: Starr Restaurants". www.restaurant-hospitality.com. Restaurant Hospitality. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "STARR Restaurants". LinkedIn.com. LinkedIn. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- "The Continental Restaurant and Martini Bar". Visit Philly.
- "Restaurants". Starr Restaurants. Starr Restaurants. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- http://www.restaurant-hospitality.com/top-multi-concept-companies/2017-rh-25-starr-restaurants. Retrieved 27 December 2017. Missing or empty
- Maroukian, Francine (September 2003). "The Philadelphia Experiment". Travel + Leisure. Time Inc. p. 5. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- Shelly, Jared. "Business Editor". Philadelphia Magazine. Philadelphia Magazine. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Le Coucou Restaurateur Stephen Starr Wins Big at James Beard Awards". Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Stephen Starr Restaurants". Visit Philadelphia®. The Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
Bon Appetit magazine named Starr 'Restaurateur of the Year' in October 2005.
- Fishman, Steve (26 Nov 2007). "Mr. Big Box". New York Magazine. New York Media LLC. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Full List: The 2018 MICHELIN Guide NYC Results Announced". Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/5/episodes/index.php Archived December 18, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Continental Restaurant and Martini Bar". www.visitphilly.com. Visit Philly. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- Sutton, Ryan. "You Don't Need to Eat at Buddakan or Morimoto Anymore". Eater New York. Eater. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- Patronite, Rob. "Buddakan". www.nymag.com. New York Magazine. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- Baker, Abbe (27 February 2018). "The First Day I Got My Michelin Stars: The Clocktower's Jason Atherton". Michelin Guide.
- Fabricant, Florence (May 1, 2017). "Le Coucou Named Best New Restaurant at James Beard Awards". New York Times.
- Klein, Michael (May 5, 2016). http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Thatll-be-a-Starbucks-at-22nd-and-South.html. Missing or empty
- Official website
- The Continental turns 20
- Restaurant Timeline
- Interview with Stephen Starr
- Opening of Atlantic City Restaurants
- Stephen Starr on Entrepreneurship and Trusting His Gut Instincts