Sacramento Metropolitan Cable Television Commission
The Sacramento Metropolitan Cable Television Commission is the joint powers agency responsible for regulating the cable television franchises and licenses in Sacramento County, California. The Commission's Board of Directors is composed of members of the constituent jurisdictions: Sacramento County, Sacramento, Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, Rancho Cordova, Folsom, and Galt.
The Commission is responsible for:
- Administering the cable television franchises and licenses in Sacramento County
- Assisting consumers in resolving their cable and non-cable video concerns
- Monitoring community programming and grantee funding
- Operating the local Government-access television (GATV) cable TV channel, Metro Cable
The Commission currently licenses four cable television providers:
- Comcast throughout Sacramento County
- Frontier Communications in Elk Grove
- Strategic Technologies in Natomas
- SureWest in Natomas, Arden, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Sacramento, Citrus Heights, Oak Park, Antelope, Elk Grove, and LandPark.
Late fees case
On July 25, 1994 a major class action suit (Selnick v. Sacramento Cable) was initiated over the legality of these late fees, which it was contended violated California law. This suit grew out of the Commission's investigation into the issue. The case was settled, and new legislation on late fees was drafted.
- Slater, Pam (6 August 1994). "Cable TV Firm Under Fire for Late Charges". Sacramento Bee. p. B1.
- Complaint for Damages, Restitution, and Injunctive Relief for Violation of the Liquidated Damages Statute and Unfair Trade Practices Act (July 25, 1994)
- Swett, Clint (24 September 1994). "Judge OKs Pact to Settle Cable Suit". Sacramento Bee. p. B1.
- Deborah R. Hensler; Nicholas M. Pace; Bonnie Dombey-Moore; Elizabeth Giddens; Jennifer Gross; Erik Moller (1999). Chapter 8 -- Cable TV Late Fee Litigation: Selnick V. Sacramento Cable (PDF). Class Action Dilemmas: Pursuing Public Goals for Private Gain. RAND Corporation. ISBN 0-8330-2604-6. Retrieved 2007-06-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Official website Metro Cable
- Access Sacramento audio
- Sacramento Educational Consortium
- About Sacramento Educational Cable Consortium
- KVIE Cable 7
- Capital Public Radio
- CA State Senate floor report on late fees legislation
- this Multichannel news story that discusses action by the commission on possible content restriction. of cable programming