Sally Emerson is a novelist, anthologist and travel writer.
Education and career
Between school and university she was editorial assistant and writer on the magazine Books and Bookmen which she later went on to edit.
While at Oxford she edited Isis, won the Vogue Talent Contest for writing in 1972 and the Radio Times Young Journalist of the Year competition along with a Catherine Pakenham Award and wrote for The Times.
She worked on The Illustrated London News then became assistant editor of Plays and Players in 1976. From 1978-1985 she was editor of the literary magazine Books and Bookmen (which briefly became Book Choice then returned to the title Books and Bookmen).
In 1980 she published her first novel Second Sight. It won a Yorkshire Post Best First Novel award. In the US the title was The Second Sight of Jennifer Hamilton. Next came Listeners in 1983, the bestsellers Fire Child (1987), Separation (titled Hush Little Baby in the US) 1992 and Heat set in Washington DC in 1998. Broken Bodies came out in 2001.
Her anthologies, collections of poetry and prose on birth, love and death are ‘In Loving Memory: A Collection for Memorial Services, Funerals and Just Getting By’ (2004), ‘Be Mine: An Anthology for Lovers, Weddings and Ever After’ (2007) and ‘New Life, An Anthology for Parenthood’ (2009).
Her other non-fiction anthology titles include ‘A Celebration of Babies’ (1986), ‘The Kingfisher Nursery Treasury’ (1988),
Her six novels are being republished in 2017 by Quartet in its Rediscovered Classics series, with the dark love stories Fire Child and Heat coming out in March and the coming of age novel Second Sight in June along with Separation, another dark love story but with a child as the central heroine.
She married Peter Stothard in 1980 and they have two children, the novelist Anna Stothard and journalist Michael Stothard, born 1983 and 1987. In the early 1980s, while transiently separated from her husband, she had an affair with writer Douglas Adams.
- Second Sight (1980), ISBN 0-7181-1965-7
- Listeners (1983), ISBN 0-7181-2134-1
- A Celebration of Babies: An Anthology of Poetry and Prose (ed., 1986), ISBN 0-216-91864-2
- Fire Child (1987), ISBN 0-7181-2832-X
- Separation (1992), ISBN 0-356-19587-2
- Heat (1998), ISBN 0-316-64317-3
- Broken Bodies (2001), ISBN 0-316-85483-2
- In Loving Memory: A Collection for Memorial Services, Funerals and Just Getting By (ed., 2004), ISBN 0-316-72599-4
- New Life, An Anthology for Parenthood, ISBN 978-1-4087-0112-6
- The Kingfisher Nursery Treasury, ISBN 0-86272-334-5
- Be Mine: An Anthology for Lovers, Weddings and Ever After (ed., forthcoming 2007), ISBN 0-316-73258-3
- Fire Child (2017), ISBN 0704374285
- Heat (2017), ISBN 0704374277
- "My hols: Sally Emerson | The Sunday Times". www.thesundaytimes.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- Roger, Interview by Sylvia. "Class act". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "How you live with death | The Times". The Times. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "Dumbo in the jungle | The Sunday Times". www.thesundaytimes.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "Sally Emerson". Sally Emerson. Retrieved 2017-02-13.