|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (May 2016)|
October 23, 1978 [|
Cornwall, United Kingdom
|Occupation||Travel writer, author and academic|
Sam Bleakley is a British surfer, travel writer and video documentary presenter. His published books include Surfing Brilliant Corners (2010), Surfing Tropical Beats (2011) and The Longboard Travel Guide (2015). He has been a multiple British and European longboard surfing champion.
Bleakley started surfing aged 5 in Cornwall. He rode shortboards until aged 15. He won his first European Longboard Championship title whilst studying at Cambridge (Praia Grande, Portugal, 1999). He retained the title shortly after graduating (Le Penon, France, 2001). Bleakley has won twenty-eight national, two European and four international longboard events. He has also won national and international paddle race titles.
Bleakley's writing has been published in international magazines and newspapers including Conde Nast Traveller, The Guardian, The Financial Times, The Independent, Men's Health, La Repubblica and numerous specialist surfing publications. He has edited longboard specials in Carve and Wavelength magazines, and been a surf columnist in The Cornishman newspaper. In his writing he compares surfing to jazz.
Bleakley has presented, produced, co-edited and written numerous surf travel films including the Brilliant Corners surf travel series on emerging surf cultures. He has appeared in action sport DVDs, documentaries and television programmes about surfing and travel including the BBC's The Perfect Wave (2001) and Grandstand (World Surfing Games 2002), Channel 4's 360 series (2001) and ITV's Surf's Up series (2002).
Bleakley is a co-founder of surfEXPLORE, a surf travel photography, writing and film project.
- Bleakley, S. (2010). Surfing Brilliant Corners. Penzance: Alison Hodge Publishers.
- Bleakley, S. (2011). Surfing Tropical Beats (Chinese edition). Haikou: Hainan Publishing House.
- Bleakley, S. (2012). Surfing Tropical Beats. Penzance: Alison Hodge Publishers.
- Bleakley, S. (2015). The Longboard Travel Guide: A Guide To The World's Best Longboarding Waves. Newquay: Orca Publications.
- Mansfield, R. (Editor Bleakley, S.) (2009). The Surfing Tribe: A History of Surfing in Britain. Newquay: Orca Publications.
- Manetta, J. (Contributing Editor Bleakley, S.) (2014). "Looking For Something To Find. Mount Hawke" Toadhall Press.
- Blog | Adventure Activities Cornwall. Adventure-cornwall.co.uk.
- "Cornishman Sport Down Memory Lane September 17". This is Cornwall (17 September 2009).
- Contender | Sport | The Observer. Observer.guardian.co.uk (26 February 2011).
- John Buchorski wins UK WKD Lizzard expression session. Surfersvillage.com.
- Sam Bleakley writes from Oxbow World Longboard final in the Maldives. A1Surf.com (26 October 2009).
- Resurgence • Article – Guardians of the Ocean. Resurgence.org.
- Extract: Sam Bleakley's Surfing Brilliant Corners | New music reviews, news & interviews. The Arts Desk (19 September 2010).
- Surfing Brilliant Cornersd, By Sam Bleakley, photos by JS Callahan – Reviews – Books. The Independent (9 July 2010).
- Surfing Yearbook most comprehensive ever published. Surfersvillage.com (15 April 2009).
- the September project. Septembersurf.blogspot.com.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20111225185811/http://www.surfnation.co.uk/2011/11/the-curious-influence-of-the-bleakley-clan.html. Archived from the original on 25 December 2011. Retrieved 20 December 2011. Missing or empty
- Serene agility. YouTube (19 November 2008).
- Sam Bleakley. Alison Hodge Publishers (13 August 2013)