Sameer Parekh is the founder of C2Net Software, Inc.
In 1993 Parekh moved to Berkeley, California, to attend the University of California, Berkeley, and joined the cypherpunks. In his second year at Cal, he started C2Net, a privacy-oriented ISP which provided anonymous accounts and an anonymous remailer, and was the first home of the Anonymizer web surfing proxy.
Through the mid- to late 1990s, Parekh was a frequently-cited critic of U.S. policy on encryption software. The cover story for the September 1997 issue of Forbes focused on his views of the political and social impact of cryptography. Through C2Net, Parekh pioneered the offshore development of cryptography by U.S. companies to avoid U.S. regulation, and later helped organize the first global conference on financial cryptography in Anguilla. He was also an advisor to and the chairman of HavenCo, a company that attempted to create a data haven in the Principality of Sealand.
After selling C2Net to Red Hat, Parekh traveled around Central and Eastern Europe in 2001 on a DJ tour. He played in countries such as Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Latvia. He also produced a number of "renegade" events in the Port of Oakland.
As of spring 2012, Parekh is the proprietor of Falkor Systems, a flying robot startup based in the New York area. Since 2014, he is "Entrepreneur in Residence" at the Correll Robotics lab, University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Politics for the really cool - Forbes.com
- Index of the Free Journal
- Secret Agents, cover story of the East Bay Express, March 14, 1997
- First Monday: Prospects for Remailers Archived 2008-05-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- The Anonymizer
- 5.01: Scans
- Interview with Sameer Parekh
- Hacking the Encryption Export Ban
- Interview with Sameer Parekh Issue 20
- Can you keep a secret?
- C2Net Short-Circuits US Crypto Policy
- Cryptography and Paranoia in Anguilla
- Wired 8.07: Welcome to Sealand. Now Bugger Off
- Red Hat to Acquire C2Net, the Number One Commercial Secure Web Server Developer
- Sameer's Gallery :: Tour 2001 (dead link) Archived 2007-10-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- Putting Tech in TECHNO / Dot-coms, electronic music scene in harmony
- The Claremont Institute - 2007 Lincoln Fellows Archived 2008-05-15 at the Wayback Machine.