Early life and education
Fredman was born in Johannesburg, South Africa and received her undergraduate degree in mathematics and philosophy from Witwatersrand University. She then worked for a short time as a political and labour journalist before attending Wadham College, Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar. She received First Class Honours for the BA in Law and the BCL.
After graduation, she worked as a trainee solicitor in London at a firm of solicitors specialising trade union and labour law. She then became a Lecturer in labour law at King's College London. After four years in that position she was elected fellow in law at Exeter College, Oxford. In 1996 Fredman was made a Reader and was given the title of professor in 1999. She was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 2005. In 2010 she was appointed Rhodes Professor in the Laws of the British Commonwealth and the USA. Funded by the University’s Higher Studies Fund, this will be used to develop a focal point for a research and policy network in the comparative human rights law of these jurisdictions. The aim is to integrate academics, policy-makers, judges and students, in Oxford, in developed countries and also in many developing countries in the British Commonwealth which have had little exposure to academic research. The network will initially be focussing on two substantive themes, gender equality, and poverty and human rights.
Academic interests and teaching
Fredman also practises as a barrister and is a member of Old Square Chambers in London.
- Fredman, Sandra (2008). Human Rights Transformed: Positive Rights and Positive Duties. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-927276-X.
- Fredman, Sandra (2001). Discrimination Law (Clarendon Law Series). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-876566-5.
- Fredman, Sandra (1998). Women and the Law (Oxford Monographs on Labour Law). Clarendon Press. ISBN 0-19-876323-9.
- Fredman, Sandra; Morris, Gillian (1989). State as Employer: Labour Law in the Public Services. Mansell. ISBN 0-7201-2029-2.
- Fredman, Sandra; Hepple, B.A. (1986). Labor Law and Industrial Relations in Great Britain. Kluwer Law International. ISBN 90-6544-262-6.
- Fredman, Sandra (2001). Discrimination and Human Rights: The Case of Racism (Collected Courses of the Academy of European Law). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-924245-3.
- Fredman, Sandra; Spencer, Sarah (2003). Age as an Equality Issue: Legal and Policy Perspectives. Hart Publishing. ISBN 1-84113-405-8.
- "oxford law — the faculty and its members : sandra fredman". denning.law.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- "Pembroke College — Oxford University". www.pmb.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- "Faculty of Law : News: New research funding for Professor Sandra Fredman". law.ox.ac.uk. 2012. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Professor Sandra Fredman QC; Old Square Chambers". oldsquare.co.uk. 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2014.