The church was founded in 1630 and was abandoned by the nuns in 1971. In 1973, it was occupied by the Community of Sant'Egidio, which had been founded in 1968, and was still looking for a meeting place of its own. The community, which had not had a name before, then chose to name itself after its church.
Notes and references
- Pierre Anouilh, "Des pauvres a la paix. Aspects de l'action pacificatrice de Sant'Egidio au Mozambique", _LFM. Sciences sociales et mmissions_, No.17, Dec. 2005, pp. 11–40
- Eric Morier-Genoud, "Sant’ Egidio et la paix. Interviews de Don Matteo Zuppi & Ricardo Cannelli", _LFM. Sciences sociales et mmissions_, Oct 2003, pp. 119–145
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sant'Egidio (Roma).|
- The Community of Sant'Egidio homepage
- DREAM (Drug Resource Enhancement against AIDS and malnutrition) programm - The Community of Sant'Egidio
- NO to the Death Penalty - The Community of Sant'Egidio