Santa Monica Stairs
|Santa Monica Stairs|
|Location:||Santa Monica, California|
Santa Monica Stairs are a pair of outdoor staircases in California near Pacific Palisades descending Santa Monica Canyon to the northwest from Adelaide Drive.(4th Street & Adelaide Drive, Santa Monica, California 90402)
The one that begins near the intersection of 7th Street leads to Entrada Drive. It consists of a mixture of wooden and concrete flights in a straight path, about 5.5 feet wide, separated by three horizontal landings. Altogether there are 160-170 steps producing an overall vertical change of about 109 feet. (roughly similar to an 8 story building)
The one that begins near the intersection of 4th Street leads to Ocean Avenue Ext. It consists solely of concrete flights interconnected by right- and left-hand turns. There are 187-189 steps producing an overall vertical change of about 111 feet.
- One near Montana Avenue has 168 steps rising about 105 feet above PCH.
- One near Idaho Avenue has 48 steps rising about 30 feet above the California Incline.
- One near Arizona Avenue has 111 steps rising about 65 feet above PCH.
- One near Broadway has about 30 steps rising about 50 feet above PCH.
- Ben Tracy (February 18, 2009). "Santa Monica's Disputed Steps". CBS News TV report. Retrieved February 24, 2010.
- "Where the Traffic Median Is a No-Pilates Zone". New York Times. 2008-11-25. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "The Most Popular Gym Is the City Itself". New York Times. 2010-06-06. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- Facebook page for the Santa Monica Stairs
- Santa Monica's tourism page mentioning the overpass staircases