||This article has an unclear citation style. (July 2011)|
Saturn's Return is an Australian play by Tommy Murphy, published by Currency Press. The play was commissioned for the Sydney Theatre Company 2008 season by incoming co-artistic directors Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton.
It plays[dated info] 15 August-6 September 2008.
A revised version of the play and production, from the same team, opened at Sydney Theatre Company's Wharf 1 theatre on 29 July 2009.
Saturn's Return is published by Currency Press.
Zara, the heroine of the play, is happily settled in a relationship with her partner, Matt. Marriage, mortgages and midwives lie on the horizon. Then, as the big planet does its thing, doubt creeps into Zara's mind. She must decide whether to continue on the path of the three Ms or break free from the constraints of rational living.
What is a Saturn return?
In the 2009 revised version, the cast was Toby Moore, Leeanna Walsman and Matt Zeremes
Information on 2009 Production
- Sydney Theatre Company website, including video interview with Tommy Murphy
- First Impressions: Tommy Murphy - interview for The Weekend Australian
- Why the 'off-Broadway' run is the playwright's friend - article by Tommy Murphy for Sydney Morning Herald
Reviews of 2009 production
- Review: samesame.com.au
- Review: Australian Stage Online
- Review: The Australian
- Review: The Daily Telegraph
- Theatre: Saturn's Return
Information on 2008 Production
- Sydney Morning Herald opinion piece on Saturn Return
- Publisher's website
- Sydney Star Observer interview with Tommy Murphy about Saturn's Return
- SX News interview with Tommy Murphy
- Brought Back to Earth, so it seems... Article by Tommy Murphy for Sydney Morning Herald about the play
- Sydney Morning Herald article on the play, and interview with creative team
- The Return of Tommy Murphy - interview with the playwright
Reviews of 2008 production