|Alma mater||North Central College|
Johns Hopkins University
|Awards||Mathematical Association of America's national teaching award|
|Fields||Mathematics, topology, geometry,|
|Institutions||University of San Diego|
|Thesis||Tesselations of moduli spaces and the mosaic operad (1999)|
|Doctoral advisor||Jack Morava|
Satyan L. Devadoss is the Fletcher Jones chair of applied mathematics at the University of San Diego. His research concerns topology and geometry, with inspiration coming from theoretical physics, phylogenetics, and scientific visualization.
Devadoss graduated as valedictorian from North Central College in 1993. He earned his Ph.D. in mathematics in 1999 from Johns Hopkins University, under the supervision of Jack Morava. After postdoctoral studies at the Ohio State University under Mike Davis, he was a Williams College faculty from 2002 until 2016, receiving tenure and promotion to full-professor. He has held visiting positions at the University of California, Berkeley, the Ohio State University, Harvey Mudd College, the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, and Stanford University.
With Joseph O'Rourke, Devadoss is the author of the textbook Discrete and Computational Geometry (Princeton University Press, 2011). He was also recruited to create the Shape of Nature, a 36-lecture DVD course (Great Courses, 2010).
Devadoss is a winner of the Henry L. Alder National Teaching Award (2007), the Northeastern Sectional Award for Distinguished Teaching (2014), and the Deborah and Franklin Haimo Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching of Mathematics (2016), all awarded by the Mathematical Association of America.
He is the cofounder of CereusData, a data visualization company that focuses on storytelling of institutional data.
- Curriculum vitae, retrieved August 16, 2016.
- Satyan Devadoss at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Fasy, Brittany Terese; Millman, David L. (March 2014), "Review of Discrete and Computational Geometry by Satyan L. Devadoss and Joseph O'Rourke", SIGACT News, New York, NY, USA: ACM, 45 (1): 27–30, doi:10.1145/2596583.2596591.
- Wood, Bill (December 29, 2011), Discrete and Computational Geometry, MAA Reviews, Mathematical Association of America.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Henry L. Alder Award, MAA, retrieved January 16, 2015.
- MathFest 2007 Prizes and Awards, MAA, retrieved January 16, 2015.
- CereusData, retrieved January 16, 2015.
- SatelliteBerlin Archived March 1, 2016, at the Wayback Machine, retrieved January 15, 2016.
- Williamson Gallery, retrieved January 15, 2017.
- Leonardo Uncertainty Review, retrieved February 1, 2016.