Scales of Justice (miniseries)
|Scales of Justice|
|Written by||Robert Caswell|
|Directed by||Michael Jenkins|
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of episodes||3|
|Running time||227 mins|
|Original release||20 September – 4 October 1983|
Scales of Justice is a three-part Australian drama miniseries, made in 1983 by director Michael Jenkins. It was one of the most controversial Australian mini-series ever produced, examining corruption in all levels of law enforcement.
Scales of Justice contains three self-contained, character-linked dramas focusing on the world of Australian law enforcement, vice, drugs, politics and widespread corruption, from street level to the corridors of power, the programme achieved a near-documentary level of realism.
It was released on DVD in 2005, with a 227 minutes running time.
Act One The Job
While investigating a break-in, Probationary Constable Leonard "Spider" Webber witnesses his senior officer stealing merchandise and is torn between loyalty to his team and his own conscience.
- John Hargreaves as Constable Borland
- Bill Hunter as Sergeant O'Rourke
- Simon Burke as Constable Webber
- Isabelle Anderson as Constable Callahan
- Lucas Winter as The Hard Cunt
Act Two The Game
Detective Sergeants Ken Draffin and Mike Miles allow their integrity to be compromised by big-time criminal "Nipper" Jackson.
- Dennis Miller as Sergeant Draffin
- Tim Robertson as Sergeant Miles
- Tony Barry as "Nipper" Jackson
- Don Reid as Assistant Commissioner Thompson
- Brian McDermott as Police Minister Carpenter
Act Three The Numbers
A young attorney-general's actions bring him into conflict with police, senior politicians and major crime bosses.
- Nick Tate as Attorney General
- Max Cullen as Roach
- Richard Meikle as the Premier
- John Meillon as Barnes
- Kris McQuade
- Ed. Scott Murray, Australia on the Small Screen 1970-1995, Oxford Uni Press, 1996 p232
- Obituary of Robert Caswell at The Australian accessed 14 July 2013
- "Relax, Says Its Writer", Sydney Morning Herald, 10 October 1983 accessed 14 July 2013
- Scales of Justice at the Internet Movie Database
- Scales of Justice at Australian Screen Online
- Scales of Justice at AustLit
- Scales of Justice at Australian Television
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a television show originating in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|