29 April 1940 |
Wellington, New South Wales
Max Cullen (born 29 April 1940) is an Australian-born stage and screen actor. He has appeared in many Australian films and television series but is best known for his role in the film Spider and Rose and the television series The Flying Doctors and Love My Way.
His brother was the actor Cul Cullen (1934-1982).
He began his career as a painter and sculptor after training at Sydney's National Art School in 1956 and later studied at the Julian Ashton Art School with Brett Whiteley in 1959. His works have been exhibited regularly in solo and in group exhibitions and he has worked as an illustrator, cartoonist and layout artist on several magazines and newspapers.
Cullen was also a regular arts reporter on the Sunday current affairs television program. He has also worked as a professional and motivational speaker.
He has been married three times and has two daughters from his first two marriages.
Formerly married to actress Colleen Fitzpatrick from 1973–1987, they have one daughter, actress Katharine Cullen born 9 June 1975.
- Stockade (1971) - Rafaello Carboni
- The Hotline (1974)
- Sunday Too Far Away (1975)
- My Brilliant Career (1979)
- The Odd Angry Shot (1979)
- Running on Empty (1982)
- Starstruck (1982)
- Midnite Spares (1983)
- Charley's Web (1984)
- Grim Pickings (1989)
- Garbo (1992)
- Spider and Rose (1994)
- Billy's Holiday (1995)
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
- The Great Gatsby (2013) - Travis Hudson
- Goldstone (2016)
- 1984 Logie Award for Best Supporting Actor in The Last Bastion
- 1986 Penguin Award for Best Performance by an Actor in The Flying Doctors
- 1990 Sydney Theatre Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor in The Tempest
- 1994 Film Critics Circle Award for Best Supporting Actor in Spider and Rose
- 1994 AFI Award for Best Supporting Actor in Spider and Rose'
- 2005 AFI Television Awards for Best Actor in a Supporting or Guest Role in a Television Drama or Comedy in Love My Way