Johann David Schoepff
During the war Schoepff was stationed in Rhode Island. Determined to study the Americas as a scientist once the war ended, he travelled for two years in the United States, British East Florida, and the Bahamas.
He returned to Europe in 1784, where he worked for a time at the United Medical Colleges of Ansbach and Bayreuth. His North American observations are recorded in Travels in the Confederation [1783–1784], which first appeared in English translation in 1911. In 1792, he wrote Historia testvdinvm iconibvs illvstrata (A Natural History of the Turtles, Illustrated with Engravings), illustrated by Friedich Wilhelm Wunder.
- Materia medica Americana potissimum regni vegetabilis . Lloyd Library, Cincinnati, Ohio 1903 (reproduction of the edition from 1787) Digital edition by the University and State Library Düsseldorf
- Schoepff, Johann David (1792). Historia testvdinvm iconibvs illvstrata [Illustrated History of the Iconic Turtles] (in Latin).
- Schoepff, Johann David (1792). Naturgeschichte der Schildkröten: mit Abbildungen erläutert [Natural History of Turtles: with Illustrations] (in German). Illustrated by Friedich Wilhelm Wunder. Digital reproduction Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin: http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:kobv:109-opus-72919
- Rhodin, Anders G.J.; van Dijk, Peter Paul; Inverson, John B.; Shaffer, H. Bradley (2010-12-14). "Turtles of the world, 2010 update: Annotated checklist of taxonomy, synonymy, distribution and conservation status" (PDF). Chelonian Research Monographs. 5. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-12-15.
- Fritz, Uwe; Havaš, Peter (2007). "Checklist of chelonians of the world" (PDF). Vertebrate zoology. 57 (2). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-12-17.
- A check list of North American amphibians and reptiles (1917) by Leonhard Stejneger and Thomas Barbour
- Travels in the Confederation 1783-1784 Journal of Johann David Schoepf