The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for academics. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Scott Ray Woodward is a microbiologist and molecular biologist who specializes in genetic genealogy and ancient DNA studies. He was a professor at Brigham Young University (BYU) from 1989 to 2003. He was the president and principal investigator for the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation between 2005-2012, and served as Chief Scientific Officer from 2007-2012 at Genetree. He was the Executive Director of Genomic Study at Ancestry.com from 2012-2015. He currently teaches at Utah Valley University. Woodward is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).
Woodward graduated from the College of Eastern Utah in 1978. He received his Ph.D. from the Utah State University, where he studied under Eldon Gardner. In 1989 he was made a professor at BYU. Early in his research career, he did DNA studies on Egyptian mummies and the Dead Sea Scrolls. He also led a team that worked to decipher dinosaur DNA. Woodward was involved in the discovery of the first genetic marker for cystic fibrosis.
In 1991, Woodward was one of the BYU professors who suggested students be banned from driving cars to campus.
In 1994, Woodward announced to have extracted and typed DNA from an 80-million-year-old Cretaceous dinosaur bone, but S. Blair Hedges and other ancient DNA experts  demonstrated that Woodward had really sequenced human DNA.
- Middle name from Google Book Search entry for his doctoral dissertation. See: "Pedigree Analysis of the Gardner Syndrome and Other Polypoid Diseases". Google Book Search. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- "LinkedIn Profile retrieved Nov 17, 2017"
- Bauman, Joseph (August 15, 1995). "BYU Team Pulls Facts From Teeth of Mummies". Deseret News. Retrieved 2009-06-04.[permanent dead link]
- "DNA Work May Help Unlock Scrolls' Mystery". Deseret News. February 5, 1995. Retrieved 2009-06-04.[permanent dead link]
- New York Times, November 18, 1994
- Adams, Brooke (December 9, 1991). "UTAH County Poll Finds Little Support For Ban on Driving". Deseret News. Retrieved 2009-06-04.[permanent dead link]
- Woodward SR, Weyand NJ, Bunnell M. (1994) DNA sequence from Cretaceous period bone fragments. Science. 1994 Nov 18;266(5188):1229-32
- Hedges SB, Schweitzer MH. (1995) Detecting dinosaur DNA. Science. 1995 May 26;268(5214):1191-2
- Zischler H, Höss M, Handt O, von Haeseler A, van der Kuyl AC, Goudsmit J. (1995) Detecting dinosaur DNA. Science. 1995 May 26;268(5214):1192-3
- Johnson, Cooper. "DNA and the Book of Mormon". Foundation for Apologetic Information & Research. Retrieved 2009-06-04.