Scrappy Little Nobody
|Audio read by||Anna Kendrick|
|Publisher||Touchstone Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster|
|November 15, 2016|
|Media type||Hardcover, audiobook, eBook|
|Website||scrappylittlenobody.com; Scrappy Little Nobody at Google Books|
Scrappy Little Nobody is a 2016 memoir by Anna Kendrick, comprising "a collection of autobiographical essays". An audiobook read by Kendrick was released along with the book. Kendrick said of the book: "My goals for this book were to make people laugh, to feel connected to people, and maybe get people to feel more connected to me." The book covers Kendrick's childhood in Maine, her Broadway career as a teenager, her film career, and performing and presenting at the Academy Awards.
Alex McCown of The A.V. Club called Scrappy Little Nobody "worth reading", stating the book is "the tale of an unusual life and oddball persona rising to fame, and it's a damn entertaining one." Kirkus Reviews was more critical, saying that "her attempts at humor often fall flat", and that "Kendrick is a scrappy little somebody now, but she should stick to acting." Vogue described it as "a charming, funny and sometimes probing collection of personal essays." The Winnipeg Free Press complained that the book was "filled with one average anecdote after another", but praised how she was "beautifully candid about the struggles she went through regarding body image as a young, underdeveloped girl and the anxiety with which she continues to grapple". The Buffalo News called it a "semi-satisfying look at what happens when you become a relatively well-known performer at a young age."
- "Scrappy Little Nobody | Book by Anna Kendrick | Official Publisher Page". Simon & Schuster.
- McHenry, Jason (2016) "6 Things We Learned From Anna Kendrick’s Memoir, Scrappy Little Nobody", vulture.com, November 15, 2016. Retrieved February 19, 2018
- Felsenthal, Julia (2016) "Anna Kendrick on Getting Candid in Scrappy Little Nobody", Vogue, November 15, 2016. Retrieved February 19, 2018
- Alex McCown-Levy (November 14, 2016). "'Scrappy Little Nobody' review: Anna Kendrick is young, scrappy and definitely not nobody". The A.V. Club.
- "SCRAPPY LITTLE NOBODY by Anna Kendrick". Kirkus Reviews. September 17, 2016.
- Lebar, Erin (2016) "Kendrick's Essays Not Quite Pitch-Perfect", Winnipeg Free Press, January 14, 2017. Retrieved February 19, 2018 – via HighBeam (subscription required)
- Wloszczyna, Susan (2016) "A Celebrity Memoir at 31? Sure, Why Not?", Buffalo News, November 6, 2016. Retrieved February 19, 2018 – via HighBeam (subscription required)