Secret of the Sirens
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
First edition cover
|Cover artist||David Wyatt|
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
|Pages||401 pp (first edition, paperback)|
|Followed by||The Gorgon's Gaze|
Secret of the Sirens is a fantasy novel by British writer Julia Golding. It is the first book of the Companions Quartet. The rest of the quartet includes The Gorgon's Gaze, Mines of the Minotaur, and The Chimera's Curse.
'The Secret of the Sirens takes place in the southern regions of a fictional Great Britain in the seaside town of Hescombe. Here we meet (presumed) 11-year-old Connie Lionheart, who is left in care by her parents to her Aunt, Evelyn. The story is about how Connie discovers that she has a special power, to communicate with animals. Not conversationally, but able to get to know who they really are, and sense their actual being. She feels comfortable, and has a sense of belonging with them. But the story is also about mythical creatures, as she discovers that her aunt is part of a hidden society that protects them from discovery. Now the society is in danger. Kullervo, a powerful and evil force, is gathering an army of creatures who want to reclaim their place on earth, and not be hampered by humans. They want to eradicate humans and create a new world they can live in. Connie discovers that she has an amazing power, and she, together with her friends and the Society for the Protection of Mythical Creatures, have to try to save the creatures from the threat of exposure.
- Connie Lionheart:- 11-year-old girl, recently moved to Hescombe, Society member, Universal Companion, but her special companion is the golden dragon Argand. She can talk to animals and all magical creatures. Has mismatched (different colored) eyes and black hair.
- Colin (Col) Clamworthy:- 11-year-old boy, resident of Hescombe, Society member, member of the Two-Fours, Companion to the Pegasus species, specifically Skylark. He has mismatched eyes like Connie. He owns a horse named Mags. Col can also talk to horses and ponies (not just the pegasi).
- Skylark:- A young pegasus. Society member in the company of the Two-Fours. Companion to Col.
- Evelyn Lionheart:- Connie's Aunt, resident of Hescombe, Society member, member of the Two-Fours, Companion to the Banshee species.
- Lavinia Clamworthy:- Col's Grandmother, resident of Hescombe, Society member, member of the Elementals, Companion to the Water Sprite species, specifically Issoon.
- Aneena Nuruddin:- Connie's best friend, resident of Hescombe, school gossip.
- Jane Benedict:- Connie's best friend, resident of Hescombe, a rather smart peacemaker.
- Mack Clamworthy:- Col's father, traveler, Society member, Companion to the Kraken species.
- Dr Brock:- Society member, member of the Sea Snakes, Companion to the Dragon species, specifically Argot.
- Jessica Moss:- Society member, member of the Sea Snakes, Companion to the Selkie species, specifically Arran.
- Ivor Coddrington:- Society member, member of the Elementals, Companion to the Weather Giant species, specifically Hoo. He is also the Assessor for the Society, and, at first, denies Connie admittance into the Society.
- Shirley Masterson:- Society member, member of the Elementals, Companion to the Weather Giant species, trains with Hoo.
- Kinga Potowska:- Companion to the Dragon species. Companion of Morjik. Representative of the Company of Reptiles and Sea Creatures.
- Morjik:- Companion of Kinga Potowska. An older dragon.
- Eagle-Child:- Companion to the Storm Bird species. Companion of Storm-Bird. Representative of the Company of Winged Beasts.
- Storm-Bird:- Companion of Eagle-Child. A Storm Bird.
- Kira Okona:- Companion to the Unicorn species. Companion of Windfoal. Representative of the Company of Two and Four-legged Beasts.
- Windfoal:- Companion of Kira Okona. A unicorn.
- Frederick Cony:- Companion to the Rock Dwarf species. Companion of Gard. Representative of the Company of Four Elements.
- Gard:- Companion of Frederick Cony. A Rock Dwarf.