Self-Transcendence 6- & 10-day Race
The Self-Transcendence 6- & 10- day race are two concurrently multiday running events at the Corona Park, borough Queens in New York City.Coordinates: The course is one mile (1,6 km) long. They are held annually in April and organized by the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team.
History and Records
The Team held a 1000-mile race in the spring of 1985, and later in the year held the first Sri Chinmoy Five Day Race at Flushing Meadow Park in Queens, which lasted for three consecutive years and led to the Seven Day Race, the forerunner of today's Ten Day event. The first Five Day Race featured 15 competitors as did the first Seven Day Race. By 1995 the longer event grew to 34 starters.
In the inaugural Seven Day Race in 1988, Marty Sprengelmeyer of Davenport, Iowa narrowly beat women's winner Suprabha Beckjord of Washington, DC. 527 miles to 521 miles.
In 1990 ultra legend Al Howie set a new record of 530 miles. The following year Charlie Eidel of Gardiner, NY ran 550 miles for a new course record, while Suprabha Beckjord ran 523 to claim the women's record again. Suprabha won the Seven Day five times for the ladies. In 1994 Antana Locs of Canada won the Seven Day overall with 518 miles. Georgs Jermolajevs came all the way from Latvia to win the Seven Day Race in 1995, in record-setting fashion, running 578 miles, while England's Pippa Davis finally laid claim to the women's title as she ran 525 miles. In the 1996 inaugural Ten Day Race, Georgs Jermolajevs again fashioned a victory with 725 miles, but was hard pressed by Dipali Cunningham of Australia, who garnered 723 miles for the ladies. In a smaller field in 1997 veteran Donald Winkley of Corpus Christi,Texas prevailed with 530 miles.
In 1998 the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team added the 6 day race to their calendar in this year Dipali Cunningham breaking Sandy Barwick's record with 504 miles. In 2000 Ted Corbitt at 81 set a new World age-group best (80-84) with 240 miles and in the following year, 2001, the last races held at Wards Island yielded another great performance from Dipali Cunningham - winning the 6 day overall and set a new World Record with 510 miles.
- Hubert Beck : "Das große Buch vom Ultramarathon / Page: 312-331" (PDF). 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- Multidays.com : "Self-Transcendence 6 & 10 Day Races 2013". 2013-04-04. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- srichinmoyraces.org : "2013 Self-Transcendence Ten Day Race". 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Deutsche Ultra Marathon Vereinigung : "Ultra Marathon Statistics".
- inspiringnews : "Self-Transcendence Six and Ten Day Race 2009 in Queens (NY) finished". 2009-11-06. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Don, Allison (August 2005). 144 Hours in a City of Dreams: Inside the Self Transcendence Six Day. Ultrarunning Magazine.