Seomyeon Medical Street
Seomyeon Medical Street (Hangul: 서면메디컬스트리트) refers to a medical district in Busanjin-gu, Busan named after and centered on the thoroughfare within a 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) radius of the Seomyeon Lotte Department Store and Buam Station. It is one of three medical districts being devised by the Government of Busan and is the most concentrated in all of South Korea.
Located in Seomyeon near the Judies Taehwa shopping mall, Seomyeon Medical Street is home to a total of 160 cosmetic and other medical clinics, including those specializing in cosmetic surgery, dermatology, ophthalmology and dentistry. The Street area also provides a wide range of amenities and entertainment venues, including five-star hotel, large department store, large discount store, duty-free shop, casino, restaurants, beauty salon and clothing outlets.
The district's popularity amongst medical tourists from Russia, China, Japan and the United States has seen an influx in recent history. This has prompted city officials to invest ₩3 billion into the area, as well as found an information center and provide access to tour guides fluent in Chinese, English and Japanese.
- Huh, Nam-Shik. "Busan’s Strategies for Sustainable Development". Global Mayors' Forum. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "부산시, 제1회 서면메디컬스트리트 축제 개최" (in Korean). PR Newswire. 2011-10-07. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "부산 성형외과 환자 연쇄사망…의료관광 ‘휘청’". The Dong-a Ilbo (in Korean). 2009-09-22. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Medical Tourists to Busan Rose 26% YoY". Invest KOREA. 2011-02-28. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "부산 찾은 외국인 의료관광객 작년 26% 증가". Yonhap (in Korean). 2011-02-24. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Rediscover the city's top sites" (PDF). Dynamic Busan (63): 5. 2009-08-16. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "하계열 부산진구청장 인터뷰". Internet Journalism (in Korean). 2010-12-03. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "김현옥 SMS의료관광협의회장 취임". 디지틀보사. 2011-04-18. Archived from the original on 2011-12-18. Retrieved 2011-12-17.
- "City becomes hot spot for medical tourism" (PDF). Dynamic Busan (101): 1. 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Stroll Down Medical Street, With a Guide". Busan Convention & Visitors Bureau. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Seomyeon Medical Tourist Information Center opened on February 9". Busan Metropolitan City. 2011-02-10. Retrieved 2011-12-08.