This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sergei Tchoban (Sergei Enwerowitsch Tchoban, Russian: Сергей Энверович Чобан, tr. Sergej Ėnverovič Čoban, IPA: [sʲɪrˈɡʲej ˈtɕɵbən]; born 9 October 1962) is a Russian and German Architect working in various cities in Europe and the Russian Federation. He is a member of the Association of German Architects (BDA), the Union of Architects of Russia and the Union of Artists of Russia, academician of the Moscow branch of the International Academy of Architecture and honorary academician of the Russian Academy of Arts, the recipient of architectural awards and a participant in various architectural exhibitions.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sergei Tchoban was born in Leningrad, Soviet Union (now Saint Petersburg, Russia). In 1974-1980 he studied at the Leningrad Secondary Art School, in 1980-1986 he studied at the architectural department of the Imperial Academy of Arts, formerly known as the “Ilya Repin Institute of the Russian Academy of Arts" (in the studio of S. Speransky and V. Volonsevich).
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In 1986 Tchoban started working at the V. B. Fabritskiy architectural studio, and from 1989 he worked in Leningrad as an independent architect. In 1991, he moved to Germany, where he worked from 1992 at the architectural firm Nietz, Prasch, Sigl in Hamburg. In 1995 he became managing partner of the bureau, called nps tchoban voss, and headed the Berlin office. Sergei Tchoban’s designs were implemented in Berlin in such buildings as the Cubix cinema complex, the AquaDom, the Jewish Cultural Center and Synagogue Chabad Lubavitch on Munsterstrasse, NHow hotel, Mall of Berlin complex, and the building of the Museum of Architectural Drawing (with Sergey Kuznetsov).
In 2003, he opened the architectural bureau Tchoban and Partners in Moscow, in 2006 through the merger with the bureau S. P. Project together with Sergey Kuznetsov and Pavel Shaburov they co-founded the SPEECH architectural office and Tchoban became its managing partner. In 2008, together with Sergey Kuznetsov he established the architectural magazine Speech. In 2009 he founded the Tchoban Foundation - Museum for Architectural Drawing.
Tchoban was the curator of the Russian pavilion at the Venice Biennale of Architecture two times: in 2010 he curated the project “Russia Factory” (together with Sergey Kuznetsov, Pavel Khoroshilov, Grigory Revzin), in 2012 – the project “i-city/i-land” (together with the commissary of the pavilion Grigory Revzin, co-curator Sergey Kuznetsov and Valery Kashirina), which was awarded with a Special Mention – the first time that Russia won an award at the Architectural Biennale. In 2013-2014, he headed a graduate studio at the Moscow School of Architecture.
In 2009-2011 he was a member and chairman of the City Planning Council in Linz (Austria). Since 2011 he has been a member of the City Planning Council of the Skolkovo Foundation. Since 2013 he has been a member of the Architectural Council of the Committee for Architecture and Urban Planning of the City of Moscow. Since 2018 new member of the Design Advisory Board of the city of Linz, Austria.
Major buildings and projects
Tchoban’s designs have been implemented in residential, office, and mixed-use complexes in Berlin and other German cities. Many of these buildings have received professional awards and are included in architectural guides.
- 1999 - Arndt Gallery.
- 2001 - Cubix cinema, Alexanderplatz.
- 2004 - DomAquarée complex:
- 2006 - Reconstruction of Berolina House, a 20th-century architectural monument, Alexanderplatz.
- 2007 - Jewish Cultural Center and Synagogue Chabad Lubavitch on Munsterstrasse.
- 2010 - Hamburger Hof multifunctional complex.
- 2011 - NHow hotel.
- 2013 - Coca-Cola Headquarters.
- 2013 - Museum for Architectural Drawing
- 2014 - Mall of Berlin multifunctional complex on Leipziger Platz.
- 2015 - Living Levels residential complex – East Side Tower.
- 2015 - The White residential building.
- 2016 - Tuchfabrik (former cloth factory).
- 2016 - Ackerstraße, residential building.
- 2018 - Alte Schönhauser 5, residential ensemble.
- 2018 - Boxhagener Straße, new block of buildings with residential and office use. 
Other cities in Germany
- 1997 - The Java Tower, Hamburg.
- 2006 - C&A headquarters, Düsseldorf.
- 2008 - Multifunctional complex on Kaiserstrasse, Karlsruhe.
- 2009 - E-plus headquarters, Düsseldorf.
- 2010 - Meininger Hotel, Frankfurt am Main.
- 2014 - Speicherstadt Potsdam residential complex, Potsdam.
- 2014 - Innside Hotel, Wolfsburg.
- 2017 - Russian Monastery church of St. Georg Götschendorf
The Russian Federation
Tchoban has been actively working in the Russian Federation since 2003.
- 2003 - Federation Tower as part of the Moscow International Business Center "Moscow-City" was conceived together with the German engineer, Professor Peter Schweger.
- 2006 - Langenzipen office center, St. Petersburg.
- 2007 - Benois House business center, St. Petersburg.
- 2008 - House by the Sea residential complex, St. Petersburg (together with Evgeniy Gerasimov and Partners)
- 2010 - Grunwald residential complex, Zarechie, Moscow region.
- 2011 - Office building on Leninsky Prospekt, Moscow.
- 2011 - Granatniy 6 residential complex, Moscow.
- 2011 - Palace of Water Sports  for the 2013 Summer Universiade in Kazan.
- 2011 - Multifunctional business center with the headquarters of OJSC Saint Petersburg Bank, St. Petersburg (together with Evgeniy Gerasimov and Partners).
- 2012 - Aquamarine office and business complex on Ozerkovskaya embankment in Moscow.
- 2012 - Five Seas class A business center, Rostov-on-Don.
- 2013 - Seasons Ensemble office complex, St. Petersburg.
- 2014 - “V lesu” microcity, Pyatnitskoe highway, Moscow region.
- 2014 - Office building on Kulneva street, Moscow.
- 2014 - The main media center of the Olympic Games in Sochi.
- 2014 - Multifunctional business center Lotos, Odesskaya street, Moscow
- 2015 - EXPOFORUM, St. Petersburg (together with Evgeniy Gerasimov and Partners).
- 2015 - “Nevskaya Ratusha” administrative and business center, St. Petersburg (together with Evgeniy Gerasimov and Partners).
- 2015 - VTB Ice Palace, Moscow.
- 2015 - Apartment complex Actor Galaxy, Sochi.
- 2016 - Vodniy Residential Street Block, Moscow.
- 2016 - Danilov Plaza Multifunctional Complex, Moscow.
- 2017 - Hyatt Regency Petrovsky Park hotel, Moscow.
- 2017 - Luzhniki Stadium (reconstruction), Moscow.
- 2017 - Residential Complex "Wine House" (together with Creative Production Union “Reserve”), Moscow.
- 2017 - Federation Tower 
Buildings and complexes by Sergei Tchoban both in Germany and in Russia have won numerous national and international professional awards.
- In 1998, the Trabrennbahn Farmsen residential complex (Hamburg) won the urban development Walter Hesselbach Prize.
- In 2003, the Cubix cinema building (Berlin) was awarded a prize from the Association of German Interior Architects (BDIA).
- In 2005, the DomAquarée complex received the German Award for Natural Stone.
- In 2008, the House by the Sea built in St. Petersburg, won the Gold award in the Construction category at the 16th International Festival of Architecture and Design, Zodchestvo - 2008.
- In 2009, the interior of the Jewish Cultural Center and Synagogue Chabad Lubavitch in Berlin was awarded the ArchiP prize for the best public interior in the Tradition category.
- In 2009, the Benois House built in St. Petersburg in an open public vote won the Building of the Year: People’s Choice in the Best Building Awards.
- In 2009, the Federation complex (Moscow) won in the category Office Buildings of the FIABCI Prix d'Excellence Awards.
- In 2010, the building of the Jewish Cultural Center and Synagogue Chabad Lubavitch (Berlin, Germany) was a winner of the International Architecture Awards 2010.
- In 2011, Sergei Tchoban was awarded the Ivan Bazhenov Medal by the Union of Architects of Russia "For high architectural mastery”.
- In 2011, the office building on Leninsky Prospekt (Moscow) won in the category Building of the Year. People's Choice.
- In 2011, the multifunctional business center with the headquarters of OJSC Saint Petersburg Bank was awarded the Gold award in the first Russian Glass in Architecture context.
- In 2011, the NHow Berlin hotel received the 2011 Immobilien Award Berlin.
- In 2011, the Hamburger Hof complex (Berlin, Germany) was a winner of the International Architecture Awards 2011.
- In 2012, at the Arch Moscow International Exhibition of Architecture, Sergei Tchoban with Sergey Kuznetsov were chosen as Architect of the Year.
- In 2012, the VTB Group office in the Federation complex (Moscow) won the Grand Prix prize in the Best Office Awards 2012.
- In 2012, the office building on Leninsky Prospekt (Moscow) received 5 stars status in the category Best Office Building in the International Property Awards 2012. Granatniy 6 residential complex received the status of Highly Commended in the category Apartment Buildings in the same competition.
- In 2012, “i-city/i-land” won a special prize of the jury at the 13th Architecture Biennale in Venice.
- In 2013, “i-city/i-land” received the awards Iconic Awards 2013 and Interior Design's Best of Year Awards 2013.
- In 2013, the building of the Museum for Architectural Drawing (Berlin, Germany) was awarded the prize Highly Commended Architectural Review Future Projects Awards 2013 (as the project), Iconic Interior Design’s Best of Year Awards 2013 and AR Emerging Architecture Awards (as the building) and received the status of Highly Commended in the World Architecture Festival in Singapore.
- In 2014, the building of the Museum for Architectural Drawing (Berlin, Germany) was awarded the prize The International Architecture Award 2014 nominated at the prize DAM Award for Architecture in Germany, and also received a special prize of the jury, the AIT Award in 2014, and Architizer A + Awards 2014.
- In 2014, Finalist of the international competition of architectural drawing KRob
- In 2014, Sergei Tchoban won the jury prize of the 40th international competition of architectural drawing KRob (USA) and a special prize of the jury of the American Society of Architectural Illustrators (ASAI).
- In 2015, Sergei Tchoban was a winner of the American Society of Architectural Illustrators (ASAI) 30th international competition of architectural drawings, Architecture in Perspective, having received the Award of Excellence in the category Drawing from Nature and the Informal Category Award for the best fantasy-sketch.
- In 2015, the building of the Museum for Architectural Drawing (Berlin, Germany) was awarded the 3d prize of The German Annual award, Heinze Architekten AWARD 2015  and received the status of Winner of the category Architecture and Urban Space of German Design Award.
- In 2015, the building of Innside Hotel in Wolfsburg (Germany) was a winner of the International Architecture Awards 2015 (Hospitality category).
- In 2015, the building of multifunctional business center Lotos (Moscow) became a winner of the category Best office center of Best Built Project Award 2015.
- In 2015, the Lotus multifunctional complex (Moscow, Russia) was awarded in the category The Best Implemented Office Buildings and Business Center Construction Project in the competition The Best Implemented Project in the Field of Construction.
- In 2015, the Lotus multifunctional complex (Moscow, Russia) was recognized as the best in the category Office Property in the national phase of the FIABCI World Prix d'Excellence Awards 2015.
- In 2015, the “V lesu” microcity residential complex was recognized as the best in the category Residential (High Rise) in the national phase of the FIABCI World Prix d'Excellence Awards 2015.
- In 2015, the Lotus multifunctional complex (Moscow, Russia) was recognized with Silver Sign of International Architectural festival Zodchestvo.
- In 2016, Finalist of the international competition of architectural drawing KRob
- In 2017, Sergei Tchoban´s drawing "Dead-End 1 (from the series "Totalitarianism and Architecture")", received commended entry of World Architectural Festival´s (WAF) Inaugural Architecture Drawing Prize
- In 2017, Finalist of the international competition of architectural drawing KRob
- In 2018, Sergei Tchoban was a winner of the American Society of Architectural Illustrators (ASAI) having received the Best Informal Drawing award and Observational Best in Show award
- In 2018, Sergei Tchoban won the Gold Medal in the First Athens Architecture Club Exhibition, organized by the Chicago Athenaeum and The European Centre for Architecture Art Design 
- In 2018, Sergei Tchoban receives the European Prize of Architecture 
Sergei Tchoban is an author, curator and participant of numerous art and architecture exhibitions held in Russia and abroad.
- 1996, AEDES gallery, Berlin – “The Java Tower”
- 1999, AEDES gallery, Berlin – “Five Painted Worlds”
- 2001, Gallery of the German Institute for Foreign Cultural Relations (IFA) – “Drawing Archive of Moscow." Exhibited in Berlin, Bonn and Stuttgart.
- 2003, The Shchusev State Museum of Architecture, Moscow - "S. Tchoban’s Archaeology of Moscow"
- 2005, AEDES gallery, Berlin - "Sergei Tchoban. Berlin-Moscow. New projects”
- 2005, The Shchusev State Museum of Architecture, Moscow - "Peter Schweger. Sergei Tchoban. Federation Tower”
- 2007, Academy of Fine Arts Museum, St. Petersburg - "Peter Schweger. Sergei Tchoban. Architecture for the City"
- 2007, Berlin Architecture Gallery (Architektur Galerie Berlin), Berlin - "Petersburg Hanging”
- 2008, 11th Architecture Biennale in Venice – participant of the Russian pavilion “ArChess” exposition
- 2008, Hellerau Museum, Dresden - "Drawing, design, building"
- 2009, Galleria Antonia Jannone, Disegni di Architettura Milan - "Water. Drawings by Sergei Tchoban "
- 2009, AEDES gallery, Berlin - "Sretenka’s New Life. Reconstructing the Historic Quarter"
- 2009, AEDES gallery, Berlin - "Europe Embankment"
- 2009, 17th International Festival of Architecture, Zodchestvo - 2009, Manezh, Moscow – “(NE)PRIKOSNOVENNIY ZAPAS” (“(Not) for emergency only”)
- 2010, 12th Architectural Biennale in Venice - "Russia Factory ", dedicated to the revival of the city Vishny Volochek (curator of the exhibition together with P. Khoroshilov, G. Revzin)
- 2010, German Architecture Museum (DAM), Frankfurt am Main - "Architectural Worlds"
- 2010, Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow - "The Golden Age of Architectural Illustrations"
- 2011, École des Beaux-Arts, Paris - "In Search of Antiquity"
- 2012, The State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg - "Library of Architecture"
- 2012, INTERNI exhibition, Milan - "The Eye of the Architect" installation (with Sergey Kuznetsov)
- 2012, 13th Architectural Biennale in Venice - Russian Pavilion exhibition “i-city/ i-land” (curator of the exhibition, with Grigory Revzin, co-curators Valery Kashirina, Sergey Kuznetsov)
- 2013, 17th Arch Moscow International Exhibition of Architecture in Moscow – “Architect of the Year” (with Sergey Kuznetsov)
- 2013, INTERNI exhibition, Milan - installation "Golden River" (with Sergey Kuznetsov and Italian artist Marco Bravura)
- 2013, Sir John Soane’s Museum, London – “Northern Vision”
- 2014, INTERNI exhibition, Milan - installation «U_Cloud» (with Sergey Kuznetsov and Agniya Sterligova)
- 2014, The State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow - "All About Italy!"
- 2014, The Shchusev State Museum of Architecture, Moscow - "The Forge of Great Architecture" (exhibition curator)
- 2015, The Jewish Museum and Tolerance Center, Moscow - "Losing Face", Jan Vanriet (author of the exposition, with architect Agniya Sterligova)
- 2015, World Exhibition EXPO-2015, Milan - Russia`s pavilion
- 2015, INTERNI exhibition, Milan - “Living Line” installation (with Sergey Kuznetsov and Agniya Sterligova)
- 2015, SpazioFMG Gallery, Milan - exhibition “Realta e Fantasia”
- 2015, Archstoyanie land art festival, Kaluzhskaya region, Russia - Museum of Rural Labour (with architect Agniya Sterligova).
- 2015, Cornell University, United States - exhibition "Treasure, Legacy"
- 2015, Square Brussels, Belgium - exhibition "Glazing the Future"
- 2016, ARCH MOSCOW, Russia - exhibition "National Tourist Roads in Norway"
- 2016, INTERNI exhibition, Milan - “Towers” installation (with Sergey Kuznetsov and Agniya Sterligova) 
- 2016, Multimedia Art Museum, Russia - exhibition "SPEECH project"
- 2016, Tretyakov Gallery, Russia - exhibition "Roma Aeterna"
- 2016, Tretyakov Gallery, Russia - exhibition "Kandinsky. Counterpoint" (with architect Agniya Sterligova)
- 2017, Tretyakov Gallery, Russia - exhibition "Giorgio de Chirico. Metaphysical Insights" (with architect Agniya Sterligova)
- 2017, INTERNI exhibition, Milan "City DNA" installation (with Sergey Kuznetsov and Agniya Sterligova, shortlist World Architecture Festival 2017)
- 2017, First Russian Youth Architectural Biennale, Kazan - curator, chairman of the Jury
- 2017, Museum Exhibition Complex, Russia - "New Jerusalem", exhibition designer (together with architect Agniya Sterligova)
- 2017, A+D Architecture and Design Museum, Los Angeles - exhibition "Sergei Tchoban: Architectural Drawings" 
- 2018, Museum of Architecture, Wrocław - exhibition "Sergei Tchoban: Contrasting Harmony of the City" 
- 2018, Tokyo Art Museum, Tokyo - exhibition "Sergei Tchoban: Dreams of Frozen Music" 
- 2018, La Biennale del Disegno di Rimini - exhibition "Sergei Tchoban: Capricci Russi" 
- 2018, ARCH MOSCOW, Russia - installation "Living in Nature"
- 2018, ST PETERSBURG 2103 EXHIBITION, Russia - exhibition "Sergei Tchoban and Ioann Zelenin - Imprint of the Future"
- 2018, Antonia Jannone Disegni di Architettura, Milano - exhibition "Sergei Tchoban: Den-City - Urban Landscape" 
- 2018, Gallery of the Shanghai Study Center, Shanghai - exhibition "Sergei Tchoban: Drawing Buildings/Building Drawings" 
- 2018, Raumgalerie, Stuttgart - exhibition "Sergei Tchoban: Visions/Projects" 
- 2018, Vatican Museums, Rome - "Pilgrimage of Russian Art. From Dionysius to Malevich" exhibition designer (together with architect Agniya Sterligova) 
- "Welcome to Domaquarée". DomAquarée CityQuartier. Archived from the original on 12 November 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-04-03. Retrieved 2015-04-02.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-07-02. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- Tchoban Voss Architekten
- Artist's homepage
- SPEECH architectural office
- MARCH - Independent School of Architecture, Moscow, Russia
- The American Society of Architectural Illustrations (ASAI)
- Sergei Tchoban: I do not believe in the globalization of architecture
- Video: Sergei Tchoban Interview on Berlin Art Link
- Sergei Tchoban. Architectural drawings. Skira, 2015