Cardew was born in Winchcombe, Gloucestershire. He began his education as a chorister at Canterbury Cathedral Choir School and Midhurst Grammar School, he then studied painting at Chelsea School of Art London and sculpture at Camberwell School of Art.
Cardew met his first wife Jutta Zemke whilst studying at Chelsea School of Art and together they had three children, Aeschylus, Ara and Gaea. Seth's son, Ara Cardew, is also a potter who worked at Wenford Bridge from 1981 until 1997 when he relocated to the US. After his father's death in 1983, Seth took over the running of Wenford Bridge Pottery in Cornwall and carried on the tradition of making tableware in stoneware and running "hands on" pottery courses.
Cardew was also an accomplished pianist and played the trumpet with St Breward Silver Band.
- "Seth Cardew". Curated Ceramics. 2018-01-18. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- Cardew Roberta (2010). From Spain with Love: 11 Quilts Celebrate Mediterranean Color. C & T Publishing. p. 79. ISBN 978-1571209375.
- "Artists Information". st-ives-ceramics.co.uk. 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Studio Pottery by Watson Oliver,Studio Pottery Phaidon Press Ltd.1993 p.166. ISBN 978-0-7148-2948-7.
- Harrod Tanya (23 February 2016). "Obituary". Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- Wenford Bridge Pottery - Seth Cardew
- Eichner, Kaye (2016). "Review: Seth Cardew Workshop - art340.org". art340.org. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
hands on workshops
- "Seth Cardew, potter - obituary". The Telegraph. 4 March 2016. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Seth CARDEW The Ceramic Collection Ceramic Collection and Archive - Aberystwyth University of Wales 31st January 2016". ceramics-aberystwyth.com. 2016. Archived from the original on 21 April 2016. Retrieved 31 January 2016.