This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The shadow dragon appears as a template in the 5th Edition Monster Manual, its first inclusion in the core monster manual, along with a sample creature, the Young Red Shadow Dragon. In this version of the rules, the Shadow Dragon is not a distinct species, but a transformation that can occur to any True Dragon which lingers too long in the Shadowfell. This transformations makes the Dragon stealthier, highly resistant to damage while in darkness, and sensitive to sunlight, while granting it a breath weapons that animates those it slays into an undead shadows.
A shadow dragon is an evil dragon that uses illusion magic, and can breathe a cloud of darkness that blinds creatures. It also drains their life energy. It can shoot a shadow ball that freezes its enemies in its tracks.
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual II (TSR, 1983)
- Breault, Mike, ed, et al. Greyhawk Monstrous Compendium Appendix (TSR, 1990)
- Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual (TSR, 1993)
- Wyatt, James and Rob Heinsoo. Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn (Wizards of the Coast, 2001)
- Colins, Andy, Skip Williams, and James Wyatt. Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons (Wizards of the Coast, 2003)
- Christopher, Perkins (2014). Monster Manual (5th ed.). Wizards of the Coast. pp. 84–85. ISBN 978-0-7869-6561-8.