|Born||1987 (age 29–30)
Burlington, Vermont, US
|Occupation||Photographer, Artist, Publisher|
Shane Lavalette (born 1987 in Burlington, Vermont) is an American photographer.
Life and work
In 2010, Lavalette was commissioned by the High Museum of Art in Atlanta to contribute to their Picturing the South series, His work was exhibited there in 2012 and received media coverage from CNN, Time, NPR, and The New York Times. His book One Sun, One Shadow is an extension of this body of work.
In 2011, Lavalette was hired as the associate director of Light Work, a non-profit photography organization in Syracuse, New York. He was appointed director two years later, in 2013. At Light Work, Lavalette oversees the organization's Artist-in-Residence Program, exhibitions, and publication of Contact Sheet, a photography journal.
Publication by Lavalette
- One Sun One Shadow. Self-published, 2016. With a text by Tim Davis. Edition of 1500 copies.
Publications with contribution by Lavalette
- reGeneration2: Tomorrow's Photographers Today. London: Thames & Hudson, 2010. ISBN 9780500288894.
- Photographs Not Taken: A Collection of Photographers' Essays. Chapel Hill, NC: Daylight, 2012. By Will Steacy. Second revised edition. ISBN 978-0-983231-61-5. With an introduction by Lyle Rexer.
- Unfamiliar Familiarities—Outside Views on Switzerland. Zürich: Lars Müller, 2017. Edited by Peter Pfrunder, Lars Willumeit, and Tatyana Franck. ISBN 978-3-03778-510-2. A six-volume set: one volume by Lavalette and the others by Alinka Echeverría, Eva Leitolf, Simon Roberts, and Zhang Xiao, plus a text volume in English, German, and French. Published to accompany an exhibition at Fotostiftung Schweiz, Winterthur, Switzerland and Musée de l'Élysée, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Yousuf Karsh Prize in Photography (second prize), Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 2009
- Focus Award: Rising Star, Griffin Museum of Photography, 2013
- "SMFA Boston". Smfa.edu. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "High Commissions Three New Photographers for "Picturing the South" Series". High.org. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "Photographer captures sounds of the South – CNN Photos - CNN.com Blogs". Cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- iPad iPhone Android TIME TV Populist The Page (2012-06-08). "Shane Lavalette: Musical Heritage in the New South - LightBox". Lightbox.time.com. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- O'Neill, Claire (2012-06-22). "How Would You 'Picture The South'? : The Picture Show". NPR. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Kino, Carol (June 21, 2012). "The South From Many Angles". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- "Light Work Moves Forward". Light Work. 16 May 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- Gregory Eddi Jones · Jun 06, 2013 (2013-06-06). "Interview with Shane Lavalette, The New Director of Light Work". Petapixel.com. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "2009 Karsh Prize Winners Announced". Smfa.edu. 2009-02-17. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- "Griffin Museum 8th Annual Focus Awards 10-19-2013". Griffinmuseum.org. Retrieved 2013-12-13.