Sherman, Texas bus accident
|Sherman, Texas bus accident|
|Date||0:00, August 8, 2008|
|Bus operator||Iguala BusMex Inc.|
A bus chartered by Vietnamese pilgrims crashed in Texas on Friday 8 August 2008, killing at least 17 people and injuring dozens more, police said. The bus, carrying 55 people, drove off an overpass bridge of northbound U.S. 75 shortly after midnight and crashed near the town of Sherman, Texas, some 64 miles (103 kilometers) north of Dallas.
Sherman police said a blown tire on the bus may have caused the driver to lose control. Local media said that the group was from the Vietnamese Martyrs' Church, Our Lady of Lavang, and Our Lady of Lourdes of Houston, Texas. The bus was one of three buses carrying Vietnamese Catholics on their way to the annual Marian Days celebration in Carthage, Missouri in honor of the Virgin Mary. The bus tire was apparently recapped; the bus charter company had a history of safety violations, and the driver had a criminal record. The bus owner was identified as Iguala BusMex Inc.
The bus did not have seat belts. Some people have called for mandatory seat belts and safety glass in highway coaches.
- Dallas Morning News; death toll now 17
- "Bus in Texas Crash That Killed 15 Church Members Not Licensed to Operate". Fox News. 8 August 2008. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- 13 Vietnamese pilgrims killed in Texas bus crash
- Robbins, Danny (August 13, 2008). "Feds nix new bus company licenses after crash". Fox News. Retrieved 2008-09-10.
- "Licensing of new bus companies halted". Dallas Morning News. 2008-08-13. Retrieved 2008-09-10.[dead link]
- Horswell, Cindy (Aug 10, 2008). "Sherman crash angers those fighting for bus reforms. Activists say belts, special glass can save lives; industry defends standards". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2008-09-10.
- Bus Crash North of Dallas Kills 12
- Illegal Tire Found in Bus Crash That Killed 15
- Deadly Texas Bus Crash
- (Vietnamese) Xe chở giáo dân đi hành hương Đại Hội Thánh Mẫu gặp tai nạn: ít nhất 15 người thiệt mạng
- (Vietnamese) 14 người Việt hành hương thiệt mạng vì tai nạn xe buýt
|This article about disaster management or a disaster is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about transportation in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|