Shira D. Goodman
|Born||1961/1962 (age 57–58)|
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
Sloan School of Management
Harvard Law School
|Title||Former CEO, Staples Inc.|
|Term||September 2016 - January 2018|
|Spouse(s)||Rabbi Wesley Gardenswartz|
She has a bachelor's degree from Princeton University, a master's degree with a concentration in strategy and marketing from MIT's Sloan School of Management, and a JD from Harvard Law School. Her first job was working as a waitress in a local deli shop.
Following her graduation from MIT Sloan, Goodman worked in consulting at Bain & Company, where she first became acquainted with Stemberg, as Staples was her client at Bain. The pair researched whether Staples should have a delivery business and Goodman eventually left Bain for Staples. Goodman joined Staples in 1992. Goodman was the first director of Marketing and Merchandising for the catalog business. At the time, Staples was just a small $30 million business unit. She worked her way up through several management jobs, eventually becoming president of its North American operations. In September 2016, she succeeded Ron Sargent as CEO. As CEO and a member of the board of directors, Goodman oversaw 75,000 employees and around 1,900 stores.
- Stocks. "Stocks". Bloomberg. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- Jamerson, Joshua (September 26, 2016). "Staples Names Shira Goodman CEO, Removing 'Interim' Tag". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- Total Retail Staff (January 20, 2017). "Top Women in Retail 2017: Shira Goodman, President and CEO, Staples". Mytotalretail.com. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- Chesto, Jon (September 26, 2016). "Staples names Shira Goodman as president and CEO". The Boston Globe. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "How the CEO of Staples uses faith to stay focused - MIT Sloan School of Management". Mitsloan.mit.edu. February 16, 2017. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "Boston Inc.: Shira Goodman, President and CEO of Staples". Boston Magazine. December 18, 2016. Retrieved November 15, 2017.
- "Staples names Shira Goodman as president and CEO - The Boston Globe". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved November 15, 2017.
- FitzGerald, Drew (January 26, 2018). "Staples CEO Shira Goodman Departs". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved January 26, 2018.
- Ryan, Greg. "Staples hires Coke executive to replace Goodman as CEO". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- Pelletier, Jenna (December 18, 2016). "Boston Inc.: Shira Goodman, President and CEO of Staples". Bostonmagazine.com. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "Counting His Blessings | Stories | Harvard Alumni". Alumni.harvard.edu. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- Penny Schwartz (September 28, 2016). "Shira Goodman, Boston Community Leader, Named CEO of Staples – The Forward". Forward.com. Retrieved May 5, 2017.