|Industry||Business Intelligence, Business Discovery, Business Analysis, Software Company|
|Headquarters||Tel Aviv, Israel and New York City, United States|
Number of locations
|3 offices (2016)|
|Amir Orad (CEO)|
Sisense is a business analytics software company with offices in New York City, Tel Aviv, and Scottsdale, Arizona. Its business intelligence product includes both a back-end powered by in-chip technology that enables non-technical users to join and analyze large data sets from multiple sources, and a front-end for creating visualizations, like dashboards and reports, on any device, including mobile.
Sisense was founded in 2004 in Tel Aviv by Elad Israeli, Eldad Farkash, Aviad Harell, Guy Boyangu and Adi Azaria. The company worked in stealth mode on research and development until 2010, when initial investors, including Genesis Partners, Opus Capital and Eli Farkash, provided $4 million in Series A financing.
Amit Bendov was appointed CEO in July 2012. In April 2013, Sisense announced a $10 million series B funding round led by Battery Ventures, with participation from Genesis Partners and Opus Capital. In June 2014, new investor Draper Fisher Jurvetson Growth (DFJ Growth) led a $30 million series C funding round with participation from existing investors Battery Ventures, Genesis Partners and Opus Capital.
In February 2013, as the first company in CrunchBase's "Developer Spotlight Program," Sisense analyzed 10 years of CrunchBase data in a public interactive investment dashboard dubbed CrunchAnalytics. By analyzing a decade's worth of data about 100,000 companies, the dashboard provides the public with a research tool that enables users to query the data by different categories to see trends in investment over the past ten years.
In 2015, Amir Orad was appointed CEO. Orad previously served as CEO of NICE Actimize. In January 2016, the company announced a new $50 million funding round led by Bessemer Venture Partners, with participation by Battery Ventures, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Genesis Partners and Opus Capital.
In May 2013, Sisense unveiled Prism 10X, which allows users to analyze 100 times more data at 10 times the speed of in-memory solutions. The company’s In-Chip Analytics technology couples a columnar database with smart algorithms that use the in-chip cache, RAM or disk as needed instead of relying solely on RAM or disk.
In October 2013, Sisense introduced Crowd Accelerated BI, a technology that allows companies to scale users by providing faster query results as load increases and scale to thousands of simultaneous users on a single box.
Each query is broken down to its basic components, which then helps the software decide which data to store on disk and which data to bring to memory. As more queries are catalogued, the software is able to more quickly recognize future similar queries and call up relevant data.
In April 2014 the company launched Sisense 5, a redesign of Prism which included improvements such e-mail push notifications and the ability to analyze big data over tablets and smartphones.
Awards and industry recognition
- Ventana Research 2015 Technology Innovation Award for Business Intelligence
- Deloitte Technology Fast 500
- Gartner Cool Vendor in Analytics, June 2014
- Winner, New York City's "Take the H.E.L.M." competition
- O'Reilly Strata conference's "Startup Showcase" Audience Choice Award
- Frost & Sullivan's "North American Product Innovation of the Year”
- Under the Radar, 10 Most Innovative New IT Ventures
- Press, Gil (March 15, 2013). "CrunchBase Crunching: Sisense and the Big Data Group on the State of the VC Industry". Forbes.
- Brandon, John. "Simplify Your IT: 4 Apps to Try". Inc.
- Yeung, Ken (April 3, 2013). "Sisense Closes $10M Series C Round of Funding Led By Battery Ventures". thenextweb.com.
- "Getting small for big data makes 'Sisense' - FierceBigData". fiercebigdata.com. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- Waxer, Cindy (August 31, 2012). "Sisense Aims to Bring Analytics Tools to Cost-Conscious Users". Data Informed.
- Harris, Derrick (April 3, 2013). "Forget in-memory — Sisense raises $10M for in-chip analytics". Gigaom.
- Shamah, David (April 8, 2013). "‘Big Data’ A Little Less Big, Thanks To Israel’s Sisense". No Camels.
- Orpaz, Inbal. "Israeli start-up makes big data bite-sized". Haaretz.
- "Sisense". CrunchBase.
- "Sisense hires Amit Bendov as CEO". Silicon Valley Business Journal. July 17, 2012.
- Lunden, Ingrid (June 12, 2014). "Sisense Raises $30M More To Bring Big Data Analytics To Businesspeople". TechCrunch.
- Hirschauge, Orr (June 12, 2014). "'Big Data for Little Computers' Firm Sisense Raises $30 Million". Wall Street Journal Digits.
- "Sisense Crunch Analytics".
- All, Ann (20 March 2015). "Startup Spotlight: Sisense’s Big Data Analytics". Enterprise Apps Today.
- Weinglas, Simona (March 23, 2015). "From a $145M exit to CEO of Sisense, Amir Orad could lead this big data company to a grand future". Geek Time.
- Gage, Deborah (January 7, 2016). "Under New CEO, Sisense Raises $50M". Wall Street Journal.
- Gage, Deborah (November 27, 2012). "Sisense Tools Show a Small Laptop Can Crunch Big Data".
- Fitzgerald, Michael (November 18, 2013). "Sisense Puts Big Data Analytics On A Chip". Information Week.
- Piatetsky, Gregory (May 23, 2013). "Sisense Prism 10X In-Chip Analytics Data Monster". KD Nugget.
- Gilchrist, Steven (November 13, 2013). "Sisense Crowd Accelerated Analytics Focuses on Fast Response". Business Intelligence Solutions Review.
- Lopez, Isaac (October 28, 2013). "Sisense Unveils Crowd Accelerated Analytics". Data Nami.
- "Sisense Speeds Time-to-Big-Data Insights with Crowd-Accelerated Analytics". Database Trends and Applications. October 28, 2013.
- Press, Gil (October 28, 2013). "Scaling Users, Not Data: SiSense New Take on Machine Learning and Crowdsourcing". Forbes.
- "2015 Technology Innovation Awards". 2015.
- "2015 Technology Fast 500 Winners". 2015.
- Brust, Andrew (March 19, 2014). "Sector roadmap: Data Discovery in 2014". GigaOM.
- "Take The Helm 2.0 Winners". Take The Helm website.
- "Strata 2013 Startup Showcase - Sponsored by Google Cloud Platform". O'Reilly Strata Conference program. February 26, 2013.
- Wachstock, Michal (February 23, 2014). "2013 leads us towards hyper growth in 2014". Sisense blog.
- Preimesberger, Chris (May 28, 2013). "Under the Radar 2013 Picks 10 Most Innovative New IT Ventures". Forbes.
Company website: www.sisense.com