Sid Boyum (1914-1991) was an industrial photographer, sculptor and graphic artist in Madison, Wisconsin, United States. Much of his work falls into the category of outsider art. Today, Boyum is best known for his public sculptures scattered throughout the Schenk-Atwood-Starkweather-Yahara Neighborhood on Madison's east side.
In addition to these publicly exhibited works, dozens of other totemic concrete sculptures still crowd the back yard of Boyum's former home and studio, now abandoned. Efforts are underway to preserve Boyum's home and art. Each year from 1963 to 1989, The Wisconsin State Journal commissioned Boyum to draw a different full-page, poster commemorating the opening of the Wisconsin fishing season. During his lifetime, Boyum also produced thousands of photographs (including a number of whimsical self-portraits), 16-millimeter films, drawings, paintings and bas-relief works.
Boyum was a close friend, collaborator and influence on other Wisconsin artists and collectors, including Baraboo's Tom Every (A.K.A. "Doctor Evermor"), creator of the Forevertron and Alex Jordan, Jr creator of the House on the Rock.
- Rajer, Anton (1999). "Sid Boyum's Sculpture: The Challenge of Preserving Folk Art Environments". Folk Art Society of America. Folk Art Society of America. Retrieved 2015-10-15
- "Art in public places: Sid Boyum’s concrete sculptures find new homes on Madison’s East Side". Quintessential Madison. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- Wisconsin Historical Society, Sid Boyum, Opening Day Fishing Poster, Image ID 121626. Viewed online at (http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ny:True,N:4294963828-4294955414&dsNavOnly=Ntk:All%7CSid+Boyum+Collection%7C3%7C,Ny:True,Ro:0&dsRecordDetails=R:IM121626)
- Kupsch, Tom "A Mythic Obsession: The World of Dr. Evermor" Chicago Review Press, 2008, pp. 19-21, https://books.google.com/books?id=HHQ5V4sGqRgC&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=sid+boyum&source=bl&ots=JzxGU9jGVx&sig=qFcg1G7a_bq4soYy7Rv0lt4tRbI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCu8bwiaHKAhVIVj4KHeTqBn84PBDoAQgrMAM#v=onepage&q=sid%20boyum&f=false
- Balousek, Marv (1990). House of Alex. Oregon, Wis.: Waubesa Press. ISBN 1878569066
- House on the Rock, "Did Alex Jordan Build The House on the Rock to Spite Frank Lloyd Wright?" http://www.thehouseontherock.com/PDFs/PR/AlexandFLW.pdf
- Friends of Sid Boyum (nonprofit organization)
- The Sid Boyum Collection at the Wisconsin Historical Society
- "Sculpture by Sid Boyum - Art Conservation by Neighbors" - Design Coalition, Madison, Wisconsin
- Downtown Dailies documentary videos on Sid Boyum (Vimeo)
- Religion, Rock and Rebar: Wisconsin’s Outsider Folk Art Environments by Tony Rajer (Wisconsin Visual Artists)
- Madison Arts Commission Preservation Status Report on Sid Boyum's Public Sculptures