Sigma Theta Psi
|Sigma Theta Psi|
|Motto||"Only the Strong Survive"|
|Colors||Purple, Black and Gold|
|Philanthropy||Breast cancer awareness|
Sigma Theta Psi (ΣΘΨ) is a multicultural, academic, and social sorority. The sorority was founded at San Jose State University in 1991. Sigma Theta Psi is known for their work with breast cancer awareness throughout sisters' local campuses and communities.
The Founding Mothers of Sigma Theta Psi created the sorority on November 13, 1991 at San Jose State University.
Sigma Theta Psi currently has 12 chapters at universities and colleges in California and Nevada.
- Founding: San Jose State University
- Alpha: San Diego State University
- Beta: University of Southern California
- Gamma: Long Beach, California
- Delta: Stanford University
- Epsilon: Mount St. Mary's College
- Zeta: California State University, Monterey Bay
- Eta: University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Theta: California State University, Sacramento
- Iota University of San Diego
- Kappa: University of California, Santa Barbara
- Lambda: California State University, Fresno
- Mu: Merced, California
Sigma Theta Psi's colors are purple, black, and gold. Its mascot is a black panther and its flower is an orchid. Each year, chapters organize multicultural events, ranging from step shows to guest speakers.
Sigma Theta Psi is also an academic sorority. Members are required to maintain a minimum grade point average to ensure each member's primary focus on her studies.
The sorority's national philanthropy is breast cancer awareness. Their current beneficiary is the American Cancer Society. Sigma Theta Psi's annual event to raise money for this organization and local organizations is their Double D Brunch. This event is a national luncheon hosted in both California and Nevada.