As an undergraduate, Paracchini studied Biological Sciences at the University of Pavia, Italy. During this time she undertook an ERASMUS scholarship project at the Technical University of Denmark. She obtained her DPhil in Human Genetics from the University of Oxford in 2003.
Career and research
After obtaining her doctorate, Dr Paracchini held a post-doctoral research position with the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics from 2003 to 2011. In 2011, she obtained a Royal Society University Research Fellowship. Her research group at the University of St Andrews School of Medicine explores the genetic underpinnings of human behavioral traits like handedness, and underdevelopment disorders like ADHD and dyslexia.
Honours and prizes
- 2005 European Society for Human Genetics, Young Investigator Award for Outstanding Science
- 2011 Royal Society University Research Fellowship
- 2014 Member of the Young Academy of Scotland
- 2018 Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology
- 2019 Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh
In 2019, Dr Paracchini featured in the Royal Society of Edinburgh's Women in Science in Scotland exhibition, which celebrated some of Scotland’s leading female scientists.
- "Silvia Paracchini: Dyslexia and Genetics - Nuffield Department of Medicine". www.ndm.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Public Engagement – Why are some people left handed? | School of Medicine". medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Science Scotland". www.sciencescotland.org. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Being a woman in science: Changed times? – University of Edinburgh's Science Magazine". Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Dr. Silvia Paracchini - AcademiaNet". www.academia-net.org. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Dyslexia gene is carried by 15% of population". BelfastTelegraph.co.uk. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Silvia Paracchini | Royal Society". royalsociety.org. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Neurogenetics Research Group". Neurogenetics. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "European Society of Human Genetics: Young Investigator Award Winners". www.eshg.org. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "YAS Members - Silvia Paracchini". www.youngacademyofscotland.org.uk. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology - University of St Andrews". risweb.st-andrews.ac.uk. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Dr Silvia Paracchini FRSE". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. 2019-03-15. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Women in Science Exhibition". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. 2019-04-15. Retrieved 2019-06-05.