Sinking of champagne is the act of pouring out champagne in the sink. Sinking probably started in Sweden as "a reaction to the ban on spraying champagne in many bars" and the sinking is usually done by a person ordering two bottles of champagne and asking the bartender to pour out (sink) one of them. The term "sinking" is a translation of the Swedish "vaskning", derived from "vask", which means "sink".
In 2007 and 2010 respectively, bars in the Swedish cities of Båstad and Visby, popular party destinations for the wealthy youth, banned the spraying of champagne. The ban referred to champagne spraying possibly violating the law’s requirement on servers of alcohol to maintain good order. The ban caused some people to sink the champagne instead, while others chose to buy more expensive champagne.
According to Marie Söderqvist, CEO of the analysis company United Minds and author of the book Status – vägen till lycka (Eng. Status – the road to happiness), sinking is not just a protest against the ban on spraying champagne: "One gives the finger to everything – bans, global justice, saving the planet and equality."
Spread and Media Attention
Sinking has been the subject of articles by national newspapers like Aftonbladet and Dagens Nyheter, but it is unclear how much sinking actually occurs. In a survey among barkeepers in Båstad, Stockholm, and Visby, one of them said they get "approximately one serious sinking request per night," while others claimed sinking was a myth.
- Johan Åkesson, "Vaskning är bratsens provokation" (Eng. ”Sinking is the brats’ provocation”), Dagens Nyheter, 2 August 2010
- Walter Naeslund, "Sinking - The Next Big Swedish Viral Export", 14 September 2010
- Kajsa Sundberg, "Slut utan prut på champagnesprut" (Eng. "End without much ado on champagne spraying"), Hela Gotland, 13 July 2010
- Jens Andersson, "Frågetecken kring champagnesprut" (Eng. "Question marks around champagne spraying"), Sveriges Radio Gotland, 19 July 2010
- "Alkohollagen 6 kap 2 §" (Eng. "Alcohol law 6. chapter 2. §", Notisum, collected 24 April 2011
- Josefine Hökerberg, "Vaskning – myt eller trend?" (Eng. "Sinking – myth or trend"), Aftonbladet, 30 July 2010
- Kakan och Julia, "Champagnevaskning" (Eng. "Champagne sinking") Archived 2012-03-11 at the Wayback Machine., Sveriges Television, 22 September 2010