Sir Baldwin Leighton, 7th Baronet
|Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bt|
Oil Painting of Baldwin Leighton from Shropshire Museums Collections
|Born||14 May 1805|
22 January 1871 (aged 65)|
|Resting place||Loton Park's parish churchyard of St Michael, Alberbury.|
|Occupation||Member of Parliament for South Shropshire|
|Children||Baldwyn, Stanley, and Charlotte|
Leighton was the son of Sir Baldwin Leighton, 6th Baronet and his second wife Anne Stanley of Alderley, Cheshire. His father was an army general and governor of Carrickfergus Castle, and had inherited the baronetcy, with estates centred at Loton Park, Shropshire, from a distant cousin in 1819. Leighton inherited the baronetcy on the death of his father in 1828 and was High Sheriff of Shropshire in 1835. He served in the local yeomanry, initially as cornet in 1824 and captain in 1828 of the then Shrewsbury Yeomanry Cavalry, continuing to serve after they merged into the South Salopian Yeomanry Cavalry in the latter year.
Leighton married Mary Parker of Sweeney Hall near Oswestry, Shropshire, in 1832. She inherited the Sweeney estate on the death of her brother Rev. John Parker an amateur artist and prolific painter. She was also a very competent amateur artist and her works include a portrait of her husband in Egyptian attire.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 3)
- John Debrett - The Baronetage of England 1824
- Gladstone, E.W. (1953). The Shropshire Yeomanry 1795-1845, The Story of a Volunteer Cavalry Regiment. The Whitethorn Press. pp. 35, 37, 38.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 448. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- Welsh Biography On-Line - John Parker
- Artnet - Mary Leighton Past Auction Results
- the Peerage.com
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir Baldwin Leighton
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for South Shropshire
1859 – 1865
With: Viscount Newport 1859 – 1865
Percy Egerton Herbert 1865
Percy Egerton Herbert
Robert Jasper More
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
Henry Wentworth Powys
| High Sheriff of Shropshire
Sir William Rouse-Boughton, 2nd Baronet,