Smilin' Through (1922 film)
1922 music sheet with movie cover
|Directed by||Sidney Franklin|
|Produced by||Norma Talmadge
Joseph M. Schenck
|Written by||Alan Langdon Martin (aka Jane Murfin and Jane Cowl) (original play)
James Ashmore Creelman (scenario)
Sidney Franklin (scenario)
|Cinematography||J. Roy Hunt
|Distributed by||First National Pictures|
|February 13, 1922|
|Box office||$1 million (US/Canada)|
Smilin' Through is a 1922 silent film based on the 1919 play of the same name, written by Jane Cowl and Jane Murfin (together under the pseudonym Alan Langdon Martin). The film starred Norma Talmadge, Harrison Ford, and Wyndham Standing. It was co-written and directed by Sidney Franklin, who also directed the more famous 1932 remake at MGM. The film was produced by Talmadge and her husband Joseph M. Schenck for her company, the Norma Talmadge Film Corporation. It was released by First National Pictures. Popular character actor Gene Lockhart made his screen debut in this film.
The story is essentially the same as the popular Jane Cowl play, with Talmadge in the dual role of Kathleen and Moonyean. Kathleen, a young Irish woman, is in love with Kenneth Wayne but is prevented from marrying him by her guardian John Carteret. John is haunted by memories of his thwarted love for Kathleen's aunt, Moonyean.
- Norma Talmadge - Kathleen/ Moonyeen
- Harrison Ford - Kenneth Wayne/Jeremiah Wayne
- Wyndham Standing - John Carteret
- Alec B. Francis - Dr. Owen
- Glenn Hunter - Willie Ainsley
- Grace Griswold - Ellen
- Miriam Battista - Lil Mary, Moonyeen's sister
- Gene Lockhart - Village Rector (billed Eugene Lockhart)
Mary Pickford praised Talmadge's performance and the film's sets, costumes, and entertaining story. "It deals with a subject which interests most women—that of spiritualism—which is so delicately and beautifully handled that it could offend no one," she described. It was one of her favorite films.
- Smilin' Through (1932 film)
- Smilin' Through (1941 film)
- Smilin' Through (play) 1919
- Smilin' Through (song)
- Variety list of box office champions for 1922
- Quigley Publishing Company "The All Time Best Sellers", International Motion Picture Almanac 1937-38 (1938) accessed 19 April 2014
- Smilin Through at the silentera.com database
- Smilin Through as performed on Broadway during the 1919-1920 theatrical season; Jane Cowl starring
- Howe, Herbert (January 1924). "Mary Pickford's Favorite Stars and Films". Photoplay. New York: Photoplay Publishing Company. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "Alpha Video - Smilin' Through (1922) (Silent)". Retrieved 2015-06-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Smilin' Through (1922 film).|