Social Security Organization
|سازمان تامین اجتماعی|
|Jurisdiction||Islamic Republic of Iran|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Welfare and Social Security (Iran)|
Social Security Organization (SSO) is a social insurer organization in Iran which provides coverage of wage-earners and salaried workers as well as voluntary coverage of self-employed persons. In 1975, the Social Security Law was approved and the SSO was established.
Iran did not legislate in favor of a universal social protection, but in 1996, the Center of the Statistics of Iran estimated that more than 73% of the Iranian population was covered by social security. Membership in the social security system is compulsory for all employees.
SSO is a non-governmental organization and it is solely financed by contributions (with participation of insured (7%), employer (20–23%) and government (3%)). Social protection is extended to the self-employed workers, who voluntarily contribute between 12% and 18% of income depending on the protection sought. SSO provides the following services:
- Retirement, disability and death;
- Helplessness, loss of caretaker and social vulnerabilities;
- Accidents and injuries;
- Physical, mental and psychic disability;
- Health care and medical insurance;
- Protecting mothers especially during the maternity period and child-rearing;
- Protecting orphan children and unprotected women;
- Planning particular insurance system for widows, old women and self-dependent women;
- Poverty and inequity alleviation;
- Assistance and rescue.
- Number of insured (18–65 years old): 12 million (2014) 
- Number of whole beneficiaries: 37 million (2014) 
- Retirees and beneficiaries: 2 million (old age, disabilities and survivors) (2013)
- The Social Security Investment Company (SSIC aka "SHASTA")
- Iran Khanesazi Investment Company (housing)
- Refah Bank
- The Tamin ICT & Management Consultancy Service Company
- Social Security Auditing Company
- Social Security Real Estate Agency
- Kar & Tamin Company
- Homa Hotel Group
- The SSO Milad-e-Salamat Health and Medical Institute
- Hekmat Medical Group Company (ltd.)
- Ministry of Welfare and Social Security (Iran)
- Civil Servants Pension Organization
- Iranian labor law
- Economy of Iran
- Taxation in Iran
- Cite error: The named reference
http://www.tamin.ir/News/Item/3548/2/3548.htmlwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "Development Progress". World Bank. June 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-12.
- Rouznameh, Rasmi (November 20, 1990). "Labour Code". International Labour Organization. Retrieved 2009-03-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Social Security Organization of Iran.|