Social media surgery
A social media surgery is a gathering at which volunteer "surgeons" with expertise in using web tools, chiefly social media, offer free advice in using such tools, to representatives ("patients") of non-profit organisations, charities, community groups and activists, with "no boring speeches or jargon".
This is an excellent initiative - such a simple idea and yet so effective. The popularity of these surgeries and the fact that they have inspired so many others across the country to follow in their footsteps, is testament to its brilliance.
Congratulations to Nick and all the volunteers who have shared their time and expertise to help so many local groups make the most of the internet to support their community. A great example of the Big Society in action.
- "About". Social Media Surgery Plus. Podnosh Ltd. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- Waldram, Hannah (2010-06-08). "Cardiff Social Media Surgeries - Tuesday 29 June for first event". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- "Who's coming to the Birmingham Social Media Surgery, BAD08". Podnosh Ltd. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- Ind, Jo. "Blog Street central". Birmingham Post. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- "Introducing Social Media Mob". Mosman Library. 2009-07-16. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- Parker, Marlon (2010-01-16). "African Social Media Surgery launch". Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- Booth, Nick (2012-02-16). "Social Media Surgery movement wins the Prime Minister's Big Society Award". Podnosh Ltd. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "The Social Media Surgery is the latest Big Society Award Winner - Number 10". Number 10. UK Government. 2012-02-16. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Social Media Surgeries". Adult Learners' Week. 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2013.