|Born||19 October 1980|
|Alma mater||Pymble Ladies College|
Sydney Conservatorium of Music
|Title||Founder of Every Woman Foundation|
(m. 2001; div. 2010)
(m. 2010; div. 2011)
Early life and education
Sophie has a Bachelor of Music Performance (Violin Major) from Sydney Conservatorium of Music in 2009, a Licentiate of Music Performance in Violin Performance (2009) from Australian Music Examinations Board.
Sophie became known for her signature style of performance, noted for her movement, connection with the audience, passionate style of playing the violin and her long red hair. Sophie has toured and performed all over the world, locations including Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, London, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Sardinia, Hamburg, Istanbul, Casablanca, Bahrain, Dubai, Delhi, Tokyo, Pennsylvania and Los Angeles. She has performed for royalty including HRH Prince Frederick and Princess Mary of Denmark.
2002-2004 Sophie released her first album, Sophie Serafino, which she performed at venues in Sydney Australia. Following that, she quickly followed up with the EP Carmen in 2003, which was launched nationally with a television campaign. In 2004, Sophie took the role of ‘Velma’ in Chicago, which was shown at the Zenith Theatre in Sydney Australia. In the same year, Sophie released the EP Give it to Me independently at a sold out launch show at the Metro Theatre in Sydney Australia.
Her musical style is self-described as a fusion of exotic rhythms and melodies, and many of the audio samples on her site are a composite of world music, electronic pop and classical music. Sophie has become known for mixing styles, singing and playing her own music, described by the Daily Telegraph Australia as "inimitable." During this time Sophie performed for other artists, appearing on Australian television with Josh Groban, at Sydney Opera House with Goldfrapp and recording for artists including the Hoodoo Gurus Purity of Essence (Hoodoo Gurus album).
In 2011, Sophie released the singles Liquid Crystal, Varna, and I Still Call Australia Home.
2010-2013 Sophie released her CD The Gold Violin at a performance at Sydney Opera House in May 2010, and in 2011 moved to Calgary Canada. In Canada, Sophie collaborated with artists and producers including Dan Hill, Amy Sky, Dan Davidson of Tupelo Honey, and Rob Wells and Pavlo. Sophie recorded the albums Touch and Temptress in 2013. Temptress was released in December 2014, and Touch released in January 2015. In October 2015, a Lullaby album entitled Kissed by the Moon was released, followed by The Journey in 2016.
Sophie performed on the Hoodoo Gurus album Purity of Essence (released 2010)
- Global Television Canada Women of Vision Edmonton Award (2014)
- Women of Inspiration Awards- Cultural Ambassador 2017
The Every Woman Foundation
Sophie is the founder of the Every Woman Foundation. She is also the President of the Foundation in Canada, and in the United States. Sophie has worked within the Foundation’s outreach programs particularly in music, writing and teen mentorship and also partially funded the 2011, 2012, 2013 Festivals and has been an active board member since the beginnings of the Foundation.
Ovarian Cancer Canada
Sophie is a spokesperson for Ovarian Cancer Canada which is the only registered Canadian charity solely dedicated to overcoming ovarian cancer. Sophie has spoken and performed at numerous events on behalf of the charity including The Calgary Women’s Show in 2012, The Ovarian Cancer Walk of Hope Edmonton 2013 which Sophie co-emceed with Global Television presenter Nicola Crosbie, and Sophie also appeared in the 2014 Public Service Awareness Announcement on Global Television.
Other Charitable Contributions
Sophie joined other celebrities on the catwalk at the Heart Truth Fashion Show Calgary in support of the Heart & Stroke Foundation of Alberta in 2012, and 2014, and regularly donates her time, and services as a speaker and performer to charities she supports, including the Canadian Foundation for Women’s Health Gala in 2013, and the Purple Heart Gala for Discovery House Calgary.
Sophie was married to Australian Fashion designer John Serafino from 2001-2010 (divorced) and to Canadian Quincy Neufeld in 2011 for 11 months (annulled). Sophie married Canadian Dionysius David in 2014–present and together they have three children, a son, Alexander and two daughters, Victoria and Olivia.
- Colliding Worlds (Album) released 2004
- Varna (single) released 2011
- The Gold Violin (EP) released 2011
- Liquid Crystal (single) released 2011
- Who and What She Wants (single) released 2014
- Temptress (Album) released 2014
- Touch (Album) released 2015
- Kissed By the Moon (Album) released 2015
- Casablanca (single) released 2016
- The Journey (formerly named Temptress) re-released 2016
- Unvanquished (single) released 2019
- Christmas Classics (Album) released 2019
- Army of Me (Single) released 2020
- "Violinist Sophie Serafino shares her story through her own distinct brand of music". CTV News. 26 February 2018.
- "Sophie Serafino on women and society". Gulf News.
- "Lees: Violinist returns to charity fundraiser after riveting performance". Edmonton Journal.
- "Sophie Serafino on women and society". Gulfnews.com.
- "Recap: RoyalTea Baby Shower at the Fairmont Palliser Hotel". CalgaryHerald.com. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "One day in Calgary: violinist Sophie Serafino". Eatnorth.ca.
- "Taking Fashion to Heart". Fashionsignmagazine.com. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "Sophie Serafino The Gold Violin CD Launch and Show Sydney Opera House". Misociety.com.au.
- "Sophie Serafino". TheProvince.com.
- Rhodes, Ted (30 January 2015). "The crystaline sounds of Sophie Serafino". Calgary Herald. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "One day in Calgary: violinist Sophie Serafino". eatnorth.ca.
- "Woman of Vision: Sophie Serafino". globalnews.ca.
- "2017 Women of Inspiration Winners". Canadian Business Chicks. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- "Miss Representation". Avenuecalgary.com. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Every Woman Festival Calgary mixes celebration with giving back". Calgaryherald.com. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Every Woman Festival celebrates Calgary women". Calgaryherald.com. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Val Giesbrecht: facing two cancers" (PDF). OvarianCanada.org. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Hundreds walk in hopes of finding cure for ovarian cancer". GlobalNews.ca. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Red dress design by Marsina King to be modelled by Sophie at The Heart Truth Fashion Show in Calgary on Sept. 22, 2012". OttawaCitizen.com. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Stroke survivor Anne Bosman ready to strut the runway as part of the Heart Truth Fashion Show". CalgarySun.com.
- "Laughter, music and dinner for a great cause". Sogc.org. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Purple Heart Gala - November 4". CtvNews.ca. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Purple Heart Gala". Discoveryhouse.ca. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- Lees, Nick. "Nick Lees: Former Oilers boss forges a new career". Edmonton Journal. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Congratulations to Sophie Serafino and Dionysius David". The Rotary Club of Calgary. Retrieved 30 October 2017.