NASA picture of Sorol Atoll
|Area||0.934 km2 (0.361 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
Sorol is a coral atoll of nine islands in the central Caroline Islands in the Pacific Ocean, and forms a legislative district in Yap State in the Federated States of Micronesia. Sorol is located approximately 150 kilometres (93 mi) south of Ulithi and 250 kilometres (160 mi) southeast of the island of Yap. Sorol has been uninhabited since the early 1980s. Sorol is a municipality with the state of Yap.
The atoll is 12.5 kilometres (7.8 mi) long east-west, and up to 3.5 kilometres (2.2 mi) wide. The northern rim of the atoll consists of a reef with several islets. Its total land area is only 0.934 square kilometres (0.361 sq mi), but it encloses a 45 metres (148 ft) deep lagoon of 7.1 square kilometres (2.7 sq mi). The shorter southern rim is less well-developed and narrower than the northern rim, with two small passages into the lagoon. Only the four largest islets are vegetated.
Among the individual islets are the following:
- Bigelimol (northwesternmost)
- Bigeliwol (northwest)
- Bigelor (southeasternmost)
- Birara (south)
- Falewaidid (north)
- Sorol (southeast)
As with all of the Caroline Islands, they were sold by Spain to the Empire of Germany in 1899. The island came under the control of the Empire of Japan after World War I, and was subsequently administered under the South Seas Mandate. Following World War II. The island came under the control of the United States of America and was administered as part of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands from 1947, and became part of the Federated States of Micronesia from 1979.
- Columbia Gazetteer of the World. Vol. 1, p. 900
- "Yap State Census Report 2000" (PDF). Pacific Web. Department of Economic Affairs, Federated States Of Micronesia. December 2002. p. 4. Retrieved June 1, 2020.
- "Oceandots". Archived from the original on December 23, 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-12.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Coello, Francisco "Conflicto hispano-alemán" Boletín de Sociedad Geográfica de Madrid, t.XIX. 2º semestre 1885, Madrid, p.242,289
|This Federated States of Micronesia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|