South African Class 16DA 4-6-2
The South African Class 16DA 4-6-2 include two locomotive types, both designated Class 16DA in spite of their difference in respect of firebox size and performance.
The Henschel-built Class 16DA locomotives of 1930, with their much wider fireboxes, their correspondingly larger grate areas and slightly larger diameter trailing wheels were sufficiently different from the Baldwin and Hohenzollern-builts to justify a separate classification, such as Class 16DB, but this did not happen and the locomotives ended up being known as the Wide Firebox Class 16DA.
- South African Class 16DA 4-6-2 1928 (Narrow firebox)
- South African Class 16DA 4-6-2 1930 (Wide firebox)
- Holland, D.F. (1972). Steam Locomotives of the South African Railways, Volume 2: 1910-1955 (1st ed.). Newton Abbott, Devon: David & Charles. pp. 57–58, 67–68. ISBN 978-0-7153-5427-8.
- Espitalier, T.J.; Day, W.A.J. (1946). The Locomotive in South Africa - A Brief History of Railway Development. Chapter VII - South African Railways (Continued). South African Railways and Harbours Magazine, May 1946. pp. 375-376.
- Durrant, A E (1989). Twilight of South African Steam (1st ed.). Newton Abbott, London: David & Charles. p. 94. ISBN 0715386387.
|This article includes a list of locomotives with the same or similar names. If an internal link for a specific locomotive led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended locomotive article, if one exists.|