South Wingfield church during the 2007 floods
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
South Wingfield is a village and civil parish in the Scarsdale Hundred of Derbyshire, England, and is now part of the Borough of Amber Valley. The population of the civil parish as of the 2011 census was 1,514.
History and description
|The Domesday Book: South Wingfield is listed amongst the small proportion of manors that are owned by Roger de Poitou.
In 1086, the book notes that |
|— Note: Above the reference for Wingfield there is a note which says "Roger de Poitou had these lands now they are in the King's hand. ("South" was not part of the name at this time: The Domesday Books Online; Derbyshire S–Z)|
An ex-mining village, it has a mixed community. Its most famous landmark is Wingfield Manor, a ruined manor house built around 1450 and now managed by English Heritage (though as of June 2019[update] the manor was closed to the public during conservation work). The village is about 2 miles (3.2 km) from Crich, and 6 miles (9.7 km) from Matlock. It sits astride one 'B' class road, the B5035, and the River Amber runs through the lower parts of the parish. The centre of the village is at the Market Place, where Manor Road, Church Lane, Inns Lane and the High Road meet.
Other notable places in the village are the parish church of All Saints, dating from the 13th century, the Methodist Chapel, a Baptist Chapel and a Gospel Hall. The village school was built in 1875. The parish of South Wingfield extends to cover the wider area covering the village of Oakerthorpe and the hamlets of Moorwood Moor, Wingfield Park and Uftonfields.
Both North Wingfield and South Wingfield have forms of the same place-name, formed from "winn" (pasture) and "feld" (open land). The earlier forms of each are not distinguished but in 1284 a Middle English form of South Wingfield occurs.
- List of places in Derbyshire
- South Wingfield History Group
- Pentrich and South Wingfield Revolution Group
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Wingfield.|
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Domesday Book: A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 2003. ISBN 0-14-143994-7 p.744
- "Wingfield Manor: Prices and Opening Times". English Heritage. 2019. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- Ekwall, Eilert (1940). The Concise Dictionary of English Place-names; 2nd ed. Oxford: Clarendon Press. p. 499